Decorators Caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can someone PLEASE tell me what sealant is best. :idea:

I am applying it to the tops of skirting boards and around the door frames etc.. Plus wall to ceiling angles.

I have tried of sorts over the years. The tube says, will not crack of shrink !!

Cobblers, they always do !!

I have sealed of the top of some skirtings - it has already started to split in the middle of the sealant and I have not painted it yet !

Any advice would be great - thanks :D

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Ive never had a problem with it.
Its no use in gaps wider than about 2-3 mm
Make sure you buy a decent trade brand , not the thin stuff from a DIY store.

Like LJW61, I’ve never had any problems with decent trade caulk. It's really a finishing smoother for minor imperfections, it's not a filler; maybe you’re trying to use it for something it’s not designed for, it’s not a replacement for filler & will not do the same job.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

So what would be your choice for tops of skirtings and the wall to ceiling line please ?

Thanks

Stoyer

Caulk is the best thing. Sounds like you are putting it on too thin. Fill the gap and press down with a sponge or similar then apply more to top it off after. If it is too thin it will crack when drying.

Caulk is the best thing. Sounds like you are putting it on too thin. Fill the gap and press down with a sponge or similar then apply more to top it off after. If it is too thin it will crack when drying.

Just what I was thinking as I read through the thread. Get it into the crack as best you can, don't just gun it along to bridge the gap.

Dulux trade or polyfiller trade is the best.
I have also used many and found the above to be the best

Thanks for the replies, I may be applying it to thin, trying to keep it neat.

Will try again -

Stoyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back