Deep foundation for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old single skin garage and was hoping to add a room above it.
How ever I’ve Just had the BCO round and he want 2.4m foundations so it looks like the whole thing will have to come down and be rebuilt. I’m also adding a garden room on the side so it’s around 35 linear meters.
That is a lot of concrete!
Need to rethink this!

Sponsored Links
Did bco say why they wanted deep foundations? 35m at 2.4 deep x 0.5 wide wld cost a fortune- 42 cubic metres. Plus trenching to that depth will need proper shoring...

Sponsored Links
What are the closest trees? I'm assuming Oak or Poplar if foundations need to be that deep at 7m away? Have you had the soil tested for volume change potential? If low volume change potential you might be able to get away with shallower footings.

Pad and ground beam is an alternative to piles. The pads can be formed by using precast concrete rings inserted to the required depth before filling with concrete.

Might also be worth looking at screw piles if the loads aren't too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back