Default Fitting New Windows - CE Marking and Fensa.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All (First time posting),

I am looking at having new windows fitted and after reading here and there it seems when fitting new windows the best option is to have them fitted by a Fensa registered company (otherwise you have to get the council around to sign off the windows for building regulations I believe, after speaking to a few people).

I also see that all new windows by law need to have to have a CE marking (this is where it gets confusing).

I went to fensa.co.uk did a search for local companies that are Fensa registered and asked them would the windows they fitted carry a CE marking and I was told they would not, as they did not have CE marking accreditation.

I then spoke to someone at Fensa and they said they would not check or care about the fact the windows had a CE marking or not and would still pass a window on their scheme even thought it did not have a CE marking.

After reading more it would seem the fitting of new windows without a CE marking is against the law and I can’t understand how they can still pass a window on their scheme even thought its breaking the law etc.

After doing a Google search I found this great forum and there have been some great replies on the subjest of windows in the home and I was hoping I could get some advice please.

Sponsored Links
I also see that all new windows by law need to have to have a CE marking (this is where it gets confusing).
Only for a lot of FENSA registered companies, it would seem.

I went to fensa.co.uk did a search for local companies that are Fensa registered and asked them would the windows they fitted carry a CE marking and I was told they would not, as they did not have CE marking accreditation.
No reason for them to have it, if they don't make the windows. If they do, then they have to mark them.

If all they do is install windows, then assuming their suppliers are acting lawfully, i.e. not selling windows which are non-compliant, then all will be well.

I then spoke to someone at Fensa and they said they would not check or care about the fact the windows had a CE marking or not and would still pass a window on their scheme even thought it did not have a CE marking.
Imagine my surprise....

Write to them - preferably to their chief exec in person, and ask him why his members are unable to guarantee that the products they supply and install are allowed to be on sale in this country.

After reading more it would seem the fitting of new windows without a CE marking is against the law and I can’t understand how they can still pass a window on their scheme even thought its breaking the law etc.
You'd need to consult a lawyer about the actual legal situation of an installer using non-compliant products, but IMO no reputable company should consider supplying products which are not legally on sale here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back