Defects and the Part P assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right one of the jobs I want to use for assessment has some defects.

I've replaced all primary rings, done the earths, CU, RCD and the immersion / bolier feeds.

Client didn't want the lighting touched due to cost / hassle since the switch cabling is behind the door architraves and would require new chases / replastering etc.

I've tested the cable and is is functional for the light loads (pun there :rolleyes: ) however the cable is all twin no earth.

Am I right in thinking that as long as I show the circuit as defect then the assessor won't mark me down for it. The client is aware that the work will require doing, but won't have the ££'s for another year or so.

If the defect was unsafe I would insist, but since none of the current light fitting (all simple BC) require an earth is this an 'issue'

Sponsored Links
Are all switch boxes fitted with either nylon lugs or nylon screws?

There's a good point. About 50% of them are metal back boxes, 50% plastic dry lining type.

I could supply nylon screws for the metal ones, would it be necessary?

Reason I ask is that by declaring the defect would that not be enough, or are you saying that the defect still needs remedial work to make safe, even if not to the 16th due to earth being absent.

I thought if I re-engineered any of them then I MUST do it to current standards. Silly me believed the best thing to do was leave them is is and mark it as a defect, one than needs attention, but is not a safety issue.

I would add that most of the switches have been changed and they are all of the type with the plastic screw cover button. The button hide the screw from touch / view and so there is no external risk off touching the metal screw head.

I was just trying to determine whether or not the circuit was AT RISK.

We AT RISK all circuits without cpc.

However, I'm not sure whether every luminaire on that circuit did not require an earth connection, and switches were made safe from contact with unearthed metalwork, along with the relevant paperwork that would suffice or not.

Anybody else??

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert on this, but my experience may be of use to you.

I recently added a new kitchen, utility, cloakroom and conservatory to my house. I completed the wiring myself and had it checked by my LABC.

The reason I mention this is because the rest of the house was built in 1964 with PVC cables without an earth on the lights. The original switches had plastic back boxes close coupled to the front plate with metal screws (almost a surface mounted type but with the box part buried in the wall) some had been changed to metal by previous owners and some light fittings required an earth. As I discovered them I ran a single earth wire from the CU to these points, cable tieing it to the circuit cable where possible and threading it down the exisiting capping to the back boxes.

The reason that I tell you this is that my LABC were only interested in the new circuits and only tested them.

its all about covering your own arse. assuming your doing a certificate, write in the comments that lighting requires updating.

Since you have changed the consumer unit have a read through this.

Where it is proposed to replace a consumer unit, but the customer is unable, or not prepared blah blah A risk assessment should be undertaken for the purpose of advising the customer as to the level of risk that would exist on completion of the proposed work. A disclaimer does not absolve the installer from responsibility

Davy

Once again, thank you guys.

I'll do a risk assessment and note the defect. The NIC linked guide is very self explanatory

I do like having a dig at Smashy and NICEY but that Best Practise Guide is rather well done.
This is guide number 1. I couldnt see any others on the website. Have they produced more?

TTC

Let us know how you get on with ya assessment wont ya Chri5 ;)

ill have mine before i know it :( :confused:

I was just wondering if you were going NIC or with one of the others. I'd be interested to know what the others look for in their inspection.

I'm NIC myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back