definitive answer on floor tiling over thin & old bitume

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read all the posts here on this, and the sticky, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer that gives me real confidence.

I need to lay ceramic floor tiles on a concrete (or screed) floor, that has had those typical Council style tiles fitted to it with a smear of bitumen.

The bitumen is not tacky any more (I think it was laid in 1978), in fact we were able to lift a lot of them by pulling the edges with fingertips, the rest quite easily with a paint scraper. It is mostly literally a smear, maybe 0.5mm at most, and has between 50% and 90% coverage.

We've been told to use an additive in a powder adhesive (additive as yet unknown-still waiting to hear), and someone else has said to coat the floor with SBR mixed with Portland cement.

Here I've read to prime the floor with something like Weber iboprim, and also I think I read just go for it.

Given our situation, which by the way is for a kitchen running into a dining room, what really is the best thing for us do do?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd say that so long as the old adhesive is sound (not loose or flaky) then you should be able to go straight on to it with a regular powdered adhesive. Always ensure that the adhesive you use is suitable for the tiles.

Personally, I'd say that so long as the old adhesive is sound (not loose or flaky) then you should be able to go straight on to it with a regular powdered adhesive. Always ensure that the adhesive you use is suitable for the tiles.

I would try a test tile, if using rapid should set in a hour or so.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back