Tiling over old lino tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen floor has lino tiles (probably from 1978) on a concrete floor. The tiles have a bitumen-type backing so probably contains asbestos.

I don't want to rip the tiles up, because I'm asbestosphobic, so considered laying some thin plywood over the area.

Any other solutions? I assume tiling directly over will be a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
your always better to get them up, but if they are stuck VERY well you can tile over them. use a single part flexi adhesive. first mix a slurry coat (part acrylic bonding and part dry adhesive - see acrylic bond instructions for proportions), paint this on and let it dry, then tile as normal.

dont cover with ply first!

Tiling over the top is not the best idea but, if the tles are well stuck down it might be ok You should probably prime with SBR first.

I can understand your reluctance to remove the tiles. Over boading with ply will be difficult because you are going to need to fix the ply down to the floor which is going to mean drillign through the tiles and asbestos backing, unless someone has a better idea?

No doubt someone will be along in a minute tonsay its fine, just pull the tiles up and hold your breath, and take them to the tip.

Thank you.

I haven't lifted all the carpet yet to check how well stuck they are - from a couple of patches I checked, they lift easily.

What's wrong with the ply option out of interest?

Sponsored Links
iwaters - seems like you're with me on the removing. I've taken some artex ceilings down with a good mask, damping down, bagged straight away etc but there's so much dust everywhere it makes me nervous - anything to avoid further contact.

To fix the ply I was going to get a Paslode with a load of grip fill on the back. That wasn't my idea originally but seemed an ok one - I was worried about stability to be honest.

if they lift easily then they really do have to come up - sticking ply or tiles to them isnt going to last

tpt is 100 % correct in what he says, if the tiles are not stuck fast and you overboard it aint gonna last long, get the tiles up, thats the correct way to do it

If they are lifting easily then as they others have said overtiling them is no good.

It might be worth investigating whether the tiles do actually contain asbestos. If they don't then you can rip them out no problems. Some people seem to have a very relaxed attitude towards asbestos, perhaps I am too risk adverse but I wouldn't attempt to remove it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back