Bitumen -tiling over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting ceramic floor tiles down and removing the old tiles was a bit of a job.. anyway had to also remove all the old adhesive and the old vinyl tiles was loose in parts so removing this also so its down to the bitumen.. read different ideas on how to bond tiles to this but today asked a neighbours brother who is a tiler and he said the best way he does it and has no problems is to wire brush the bitumen the use SBR bonding ... is this the best idea?.. he is a tiler by trade ,,,forgot to ask him though what is the best SBR to get as I have looked online and there are plenty of different ones.

Also after reading other threads on this a lot of guys say use a slurry coat... a bit embarrassed here as I have heard of it but never used it before what do I need for a slurry coat... is it just a sand/cement mix if yes how much sand cement and is it just a thin layer? or is there other products I need

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the adhesive as each addy manufacturer has their own guidelines.
Slurry coat is a common method for tiling low porosity surfaces such as when tiling over tiles or vinyl. Basically mixing priming agent (acrylic or SBR) with a few handfuls of your chosen dry adhesive to form a runny gritty mix and paint it liberally over the floor, then let it dry.

Granfix suggest that just wire brush\sand and then priming once with neat acrylic bonding agent is fine. followed with a single part flexible adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back