Delayed Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a panic at the moment and I'm wondering if someone can advise me the best course of action.

We're about to start work on a hip to gable loft conversion to add an extra bedroom and bathroom into our loft with a dormer added on - this is a semi dettatched property. We've booked this in with our builder back in April and made the application for permitted development to the council in May.

The council advised that they would have a decision back with us for 30th July, to which they're so far behind that they've confirmed they've not even assigned a planning offer to our application.

The advice I've had from various people is that I can still go ahead with the work and wait for this to come through retrospectively. Worst possible case is that they change permitted development law and I would have to then apply for planning consent instead.

I'd really appreciate any advise as to whether I should completely avoid the build and wait for the approval to come through from the council or if it's relatively safe to proceed?

Many thanks!

John

Sponsored Links
Permitted Development is permitted, you can start when you like and don't need any approval and don't need to apply or wait for anything

There is no move at present to change the permitted development rules. As long as your architect is fully clued up on the conditions for hip-to-gable conversions with dormer, you'll get your LDC.

As you have submitted the application and as it appears that the council has let it slide beyond the statutory time limit for dealing with these applications, you can start whenever you want, without detriment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back