Delicious...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Walking past a freezer full of pizzas in the supermarket, something caught my eye...

Apologies for the blurriness, but that says "topped with tomato sauce, cheese flavour, pepperoni slices..."

:eek: "What the hell is cheese flavour?!" I thought... well,

As you'd expect, water, fat and chemicals.

I must say it's damned sporting of them to put it right on the front of the box, I think I'd have left it in the ingredients list! :LOL: I never realised cheese was so expensive that it was worth having a chemical engineer whip up an alternative.

Sponsored Links
I'm rapidly going off processed *****.

How about those donner kebabs which are one third fat :eek:

A quick google...

Analogue Cheese Substitutes ~ Cutting your costs, building your profits.
These inexpensive cheese substitutes are ideal for stretching the cheese out to enable you to reduce your manufacturing costs. Analogue cheese substitutes are manufactured to emulate the cheese with which they are to be mixed, yet they will cost you less than half the price of the original cheese. Our Devondale brand is a leader in this field. They are widely used in pizza toppings, quiches, sandwich fillings or on their own. They can be used anywhere you currently use cheese. All our products can be delivered to you in a variety of packaging with labels to suit your needs our current price (September 2008) is £1.55/Kg. Imagine the savings!

Apparently, just vegetable oil, proteins and flavouring...no wonder they're always on 'special' at the supermarkets!

Sponsored Links
I'm glad I work for a company that has banned all artificial flavours and colours and caged eggs from its new-brand own label products. :D

speking of eggs, watch out at easter, some easter eggs are chocolate flavor

take that back, what better follow up to 12 pints of Guinness is there than and kebab with chilli sauce and extra jalapenos

take that back, what better follow up to 12 pints of Guinness is there than and kebab with chilli sauce and extra jalapenos

Absolutely, alcohol damage limitation food, you can't beat it, a salad really ain't going to cut it in this situation. (not that I condone excessive drinking that is)

I'm glad I work for a company that has banned all artificial flavours and colours and caged eggs from its new-brand own label products. :D
Wow I had no idea! I say lets start a campaign to have all caged eggs freed!... or maybe that should be...fried? :eek: :D

Anyone seen that cheese called 'Casu Marzu' aka Maggot Cheese, where they cut the top off it, and stick it in a room absolutely swarming in flies, and the flies lay their eggs all over it, then it's full of maggots and they eat it like that, supposed to be a delicasy in Italy.

There was a guy on The F Word that went to Italy and it shows you how it's made and him eating it

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_-JzM-YQg

rotten-cheese.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Flies may be dirty, but maggots are very clean creatures.

That is why the NHS use them to clean rotting wounds.

[Dons his Food Technician's Hat]

AC's have been used for years to "pad out" real cheese.

More commonly, rather than adding a cheese analogue to real cheese, a combination product can be manufactured, mixing an analogue cheese compound & a real cheese together during the manufacturing process.

You'd be surprised just how many products use it & to what extent.

PS, to all those who wrinkle their noses at AC's, do you eat sausages?

Or chicken meat and more recently pork*, pumped full of water & polyphosphates (used to help water retention).

*Tesco have recently admitted their "Finest" pork has water added, not to increase weight or dupe customers, but to "improve the eating quality".

Adding water to meat and meat products has also been gong on years.

So widespread is the practice that food labelling regs do not require the first 10% of added water to be declared.

Sponsored Links
Back