Dell dimension 2400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had appointment to have Virgin broadband installed on my PC (XP)yesterday but engineer says didn't have ethernet connection (missing drivers) and would have to get them from Dell website

Went to local library to download and it kept asking me to install microssoft .net forum before I could download and as in library PC restricted me from doing this

Went home and found installation disc that came with PC and tried to install from there, looked it it was installing brought up a command prompt window then it closed that and nothing happened.

I tried to install the driver from device manager and browse to where CD had saved the file (which I thought should have been an .exe) and it just says failed to install.

Not sure if a coincidence but while I had modem and PC on my tv/freeview started playing up and lost all my channels. I had to reinstall and still missing BBC1 and BBC2

Any help greatly received

Sponsored Links
Did you not get a Dell Resource CD with your computer when you got it? I've got one for my 4600 and it has all the drivers on it for all hardware installed as well as user guides.

Sponsored Links
Did you not get a Dell Resource CD with your computer when you got it? I've got one for my 4600 and it has all the drivers on it for all hardware installed as well as user guides.

Got the CD and tried to take the drivers from it looks like it loads but nothing happens, after I did that my other and ethernet options disappeared from device manager

I think driver files are zipped on the Dell disc and I'm sure they're normall .dll files. Did you actually run the CD and then allow the drivers to try and install or did you try to copy the files from the CD - sorry if that sounds patronising........................... :oops:

I think driver files are zipped on the Dell disc and I'm sure they're normall .dll files. Did you actually run the CD and then allow the drivers to try and install or did you try to copy the files from the CD - sorry if that sounds patronising........................... :oops:

That's cool Alison, I get a message to say they are unzipped then I go to install the hardware and browse to where they have been saved on the C drive it starts to install brings up a comman prompt which then disappears and it says failed to install hardware

Hi,

What can be useful with Dell machines is to run it's service tag through this

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

This should tell you what hardware the machine was shipped with, and let you download drivers for it too :D

The service tag on the 2400 is on a black sticker on the top left side of the case, next to the XP CD key.

If it's missing, you can try searching by model number, but it won't be a specific match for your computer. Best advice is to try it and see what happens.

All this of course assumes you are trying to re-enable the on-board LAN connection.

Worth a try in any case, give me a shout if you get stuck.

Cheers,

Colin

Cheers to everyone, got a card from mate put it in and now online

Got the service tag by pressing F2 when PC was starting up btw

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Back