Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG
hi. I've had my gable re timber cladded and rendered. It's been done with a hard wood. I'm keen to use a good quality paint. Would anyone recommend demideck, dulux, sandtex or jotun butinox? The existing timer that needs re painting is the original and I think was painted with a bitumen paint. I'm not overly worried about a high gloss and I quite like the idea of using a stain rather than modern paint.

So what's the best of overcoating he existing bitumen and painting the new hardwood?.

Sponsored Links
The bitumen will need a sealer to cover it as it bleeds through most paints. Zinsser Bullseye 123 which is water based will go over it.
Zinsser also make "Allcoat" exterior which can be white and black which is a finishing paint.

Sponsored Links
Would you paint the whole lot with Zinseer Allcoat? I did buy some sandtex but think I'll take it back

Fellas. Do you think that Allcoat can go over the old bitumen paint without primer? The bitumen paintwork is very very well led and faded.

Allcoat exterior is designed for the very surfaces you are showing, even the bitumen coated surfaces. Its water based and can be re coated after 1 hour.

did you say earlier in the thread that the old bitumen paint needs a primer / blocker on it?

Bitumen is tar based and will bleed through most things. It can be sealed with various sealers/ primers, Allcoat Exterior is one that can cope with it and doesn't need a separate primer first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back