Demolishing an extension....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have a single storey extension to the rear of my house that is sufferring from an unpleasant damp smell! (The extension was there when I moved in).
Any fabric left out there starts to smell and if the french door to the "main House" is left open, it pollutes there too.
There is no visible damp anywhere (Walls, around windows, ceiling etc.), but it also reduces light into the house and I would like to demolish it.

This gives rise to several questions:-
1) Radiator
2) Electrics
3) Concrete base

I think that for the radiator, I should just link the flow and return inside the house, but for the others I would appreciate you talented people guiding me!

Best regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would trace the cables back to the junction box and disconnect them there. The rad flow and return could be connected together or again you could trace them back and remove them completely - this will perhaps be more difficult and may cause more redecorating afterwards. It depends on how the system is designed. If the pipes run from manifolds you could disconnect them there and blank off the resulting hole.
The concrete will probably need a breaker depending on the thickness. try a local hire shop for this.

I am not a heating engineer

Don't connect the flow and return. Its just "short circuiting" the heating system. Just cut off the ends and cap them off. or if minibore remove at manifold and fit blanking plugs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back