Dry Rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have that familiar dusty smell in the house and want to cure it.

but i cant find the source.

Its a small red brick terrace - cavity wall. Its had a repaired roof this year after some leaks via the chimney, and its got a full width extension on the back, put on in 2016 - four years before i moved in.

so the musty smell is most prevalent in the back of the new extension. but the grade is at least two feet the level of the finished floor. the extension has vents that dont appear to be blocked.

theres no visible damp or staining in the extension. ive been on the roof and its sound, no leaky pipes or radiators apparent.
the only damp ingress issues were around the chimney breast on the top (second) floor and at the front of the house.

so while im tempted to rip up the floor in the extension and see whats going on, what would you advise i do to isolate the possible source?

ive even repotted all the plants in the kitchen in case one was being over watered and had rotten roots!

appreciate any advice you can give in advance..

Sponsored Links
Are we talking about a solid or suspended floor in the extension & is it a kitchen with fitted units?

hello, its a suspended floor and yes fitted units including some floor peninsula units with a dishwasher and washing machine and i cant see or smell or feel any leaks at least at floor level.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back