Demountable Partition for School Play?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for somethings similar to a wooden internal door sort of construction but without the facing (as A B C in attached piccy).
Door sort of size (A) or narrower (B). Could be both I guess. Would need to be able to be demounted and stored and joined (C) so they could stand up and be faced or decorated with play based artefact. Looking for a few off the shelf is such thing available?. Piccy attached.

Attachments

• schoolplays.png
    schoolplays.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
All I can think of, is some cheap/second hand louvred doors, connected together with lift off hinges?

Last edited:
Basically, “flats”.

a simple 3x1 framework with either mitred corners or but joints as shown.
Any parent could knock them up. Or assemble if a DIY shed cut the timber
sometimes triangles of ply (a diagonal off a square) can be used to reinforce the joints.
(cut by the shed)

Ideally covered in canvas, but thin ply/hardboard/ MDF would do.
although if possible canvas is lighter.
staple the canvas.

hinge wise, use pin hinges so they are easy to locate together.
i have always used stage pins, made of wire coathanger cut into a 7 shape.
much easier to push in/out in the dark or at speed.

you can buy simple kits from theatre suppliers aimed at schools
but expensive for what they are

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply TigerCubRider. Sorry for delay. We got together and chatted all sort of needs and similarly robustness with kids.
Got someone to sketch the chat summary (as picture attached) and suggested 89 x 38 mm timber approx 850 x 350 mm size.
They put the triangles of ply as you suggested. They though the idea of ply or similar to cover one side (permanent).
The pic shows the one side covering in ply as shown orange. The other side kept open (for different artefacts and attachment as needed.
They could attempt to cut the timbers from a length but any idea on a suggested bench type saw that pulls down to make cut?.
This modular unit could be attached to other similar 'open box' to make different options that can become semi permananent or disconnected.
Would it be easier to get these repeat open boxes made for us or plod on ourselves. Our DIY isnt that good as you can see?. I think initially around 25 of these open boxes initially.
An suggests based on attached picture?. Thankyou so much TigerCubRider ;)

Attachments

• unit.png
    unit.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back