Depressions in new mosiac tiles poor finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Do you think the mosiac tiles are acceptable they have just been installed

when you look at them you can see depressions/elevations, what's the solution?

Also in the other pic where the 2 tiles meet together there is a gap which isn't the same width, again is this poor tiling? And what can be done to fix, grout the gaps?

Sponsored Links
not having much luck are you?.

imo the tiles should be flat,
as for the gaps are the pics taken on there side?
more grout or maybe a silicone bead?.

could of cut the tiles in abit tighter or maybe grout it up but why try to cover up poor workmanship id call him back.
on coerner like that it is hard to get the diffrent tiles to meet but it can be done.
with a small silicon line as for the mosaics i know what he has done wrong how thick are the wall tiles and how thick the mosaics?
I bet they needed packing out first i use a grouter (grout float) to push the boarder/mosaics in flat soo as not to get flat spots.

as for packer if is was any good he will know you can by mosaic packers for this or make your out of ditra but im not giving that little trick away sorry.

Sponsored Links
PS please tell me it was bagged tile addy and not ready mixed ?????

I'd guess that he's put the mosaics on a thick adhesive bed like the main field tiles. He should have brought the level up and laid on a thinner bed.

Not lining up the tiles - wasn't paying attention.

Was he cheap? If you haven't paid him, don't. If he's a professional tiler make him redo.

Yes it was a professional tiler

I think that's what he has done as you describe, used the same adhesive bed as the main tiles

How could he have brought the level up?

You can "dog tooth it" - basically lay the field tiles, leave the mosaics till last and then put a layer of adhesive where the mosaics will go and use a piece of ply (dog tooth) to scrape excess to the correct level for the mosaics or lay some ditra/backer board off cut in the gap to bring the level up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back