grout is powdery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi done my tillng 2 days ago and the grout has dried but i can scrape it off by running my fingernai along it, it all turns to powder, im not sure what grout ive used as i was given it from a tiler who had some spare from a job ooks ike il have to take it off and use some fresh or different stuff any ideas why this happened ? and any recomendations on what grout to use im using mosiac tiles with in buit grout lines cheers

Sponsored Links
any ideas why this happened ?
Crap product, out of date product, incorrect product, product wrongly mixed. Decent trade grout is relatively cheap, it’s a false economy to use materials when you don’t know who made them, what they are or if they are suitable for what your doing.
any recomendations on what grout to use im using mosiac tiles
Assuming this is a wall, I generally use this: http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex

any ideas why this happened ?
Crap product, out of date product, incorrect product, product wrongly mixed. Decent trade grout is relatively cheap, it’s a false economy to use materials when you don’t know who made them, what they are or if they are suitable for what your doing.
any recomendations on what grout to use im using mosiac tiles
Assuming this is a wall, I generally use this: http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex[/QUOTE]cheers karis i guessed myself it may be out of date but the tile shop said it could have been mixed with2 much water, anyway they recomended i buy nico bond so i bought that, i may have well just be using talcum powder on the first attempt as thats the result im got, it took me only about an hour to get the dusty grout out, ill give it another bash tomorrow what tile grouter do you use? i used a grout float but the nicobond says to finish with a rounded bit of wood

Sponsored Links
what tile grouter do you use? i used a grout float but the nicobond says to finish with a rounded bit of wood
I only ever use a hard foam grouting float & wipe off the excess with clean water & a sponge as it starts to set. This is enough to “point” the grout & I don’t usually use a pointed stick which should only be an advantage if you’ve wide grout joints, say, over 6mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back