depth of foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am laying a concrete slab in garden for a timber outbuilding the dimensions of the slab are to be 7 metres x 4 metres. my understanding is that I need to have a depth of hardcore then DPM then wire mesh and then concrete. My question is how deep should the hardcore layer be and how deep should the concrete be. Also do I need a particular size for the wire mesh. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder but I'd say 100-150mm hardcore on un disturbed subsoil, half an inch of sand, dpc and then 100mm concrete.
You wouldn't put mesh directly on the dpc it would damage it. If you do need mesh for crack prevention due to the large slab it would be A142 or similar and be in the centre of the concrete

yeah, A142 comes in 6mm thickness and will do fine.
use A142 with mesh chairs/spacer supports.
the oversite earth should be whacked down so should, as above, 100 to 150mm of any stone hardcore.
use min of 25mm sand
the dpm droops over the shuttering boards.
pump the conc.

Sponsored Links
If it's a foundation then you dont want to be putting it on hardcore. If it's a floor, then its OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back