Depth of Concrete for SLAB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm building a 4m X 4m single skin block outbuilding at back of garden.

I've compressed about 5m * 5M of hardcore 50 cm deep. 2 questions:

1) How much depth of sand do i need to compress on top of this
2) I'll place dp membrane over this and concrete above right?
3) how much/deep should the concrete be? 50 cm deep?

I live in Essex (clay).

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Sponsored Links
this is my foundation - a simple slab - didn't think i needed much more for a single skin block wall?

Sponsored Links
Dig a footing, lay masonry up to dpc, then lay a membrane with the floor slab within.

You end up with a damp floor if you use the slab as a foundation and it is a pants way to build anyhow.

It's for an office - basically a desk, computer and a few books - i didn't want to go down the footing route because its clay plus a few trees within 5 meteres, thought a slab would suffice seeing as it's a one block thick building....

so guys anyone able to help with depth of concrete and sand required?

It's for an office - basically a desk, computer and a few books - i didn't want to go down the footing route because its clay plus a few trees within 5 meteres, thought a slab would suffice seeing as it's a one block thick building....

so guys anyone able to help with depth of concrete and sand required?

25mm sand blinding
1200 guage dpm
100mm c35 concrete.

I see the reason for building this way, technically not correct, but will do, i have a garage built on a slab and had no problems, at least if the ground moves the whole slab tends to, i would reinforce it and probably dig the edges a bit deeper to suport the weight of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back