Descaled Heat Plate Exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have experienced what appeared to be a blocked or scaled heat plate exhanger in a combi boiler.

I removed it and soaked it in a solution of 60 grams DS40 to 1 litre of water for 3-4 hours, agitating every so often - which cleared the problem, and its now working like new.

Prior to removal and soaking, I had read how fierce industrial descalers were required, and a big song and dance made over this, which initially made me sceptical of using the DS40. I thought I ws going to have to replace the exchanger altogether.

Just interested to know how DS40 did the job without any fuss, and nothing stronger was required, the exchanger is in a hard water area, had been fitted without a scale inhibitor - and run like this for 13 years without treatment.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it is ok if you have 4 hrs spare.

I usually clean one in 10 minutes with Fx 2.
I'm sure my customers would object if it took 4 hrs!!!

Sponsored Links
It's Hydrochloric acid. It will clean both sides.

Even though I work in Hard water areas, I have never had a badly scaled domestic side.

How quickly does it work? I've tried Melt drain cleaner without success.
Steel reckons 5 mins but I suppose it would depend on the concentration.
As stated I use Kamco FX2 simply because I have 5 litre tubs of it in stock for power flushing.

I use it neat out the bottle , got to be done outside due to fumes..
Bottle is around £5.....Robert Dyas stock it...lethal stuff though.

I use it neat out the bottle , got to be done outside due to fumes..
Bottle is around £5.....Robert Dyas stock it...lethal stuff though.
Is it nice with a bit of black currant cordial to take the sharpness off it?
Gin isn't working for me at the moment! X

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back