Design service for underfloor heating layout

Sponsored Links
He is a builder who renovates private houses worth between 4 and 10 million.
and therefore as I said he does not actually live in them himself.

Developers tend to specifiy systems that provide the best financial return for them
Yet another if your ignorant assumptions.
It is a long held opinion based on conversations over many years with architects, quantity surveyors and tradespeople who have had dealings with various types of developers and renovators.

Some owners of large luxury houses that after renovation were not as "owner friendly" as claimed will never openly admit that they paid a lot of money for an inferior job. It would diminish their credibilty in society to admit to getting it wrong and/or being taken for a sucker by the renovators. It is only when they move and the new owners change everything that the whole truth becomes known.

Sponsored Links
You definitely made the right choice shambolic.

With decent control on ufh where the room sensor is digitally set from a complex controller (that can't be meddled with by the homeowner because of the complexity) then overshoot is rare.
The problem arises when the hot blooded creatures have a device on the wall with a knob that can be winded up. Especially so on basic systems with simple on/off switching.

Last edited:
Honest customer point of view on UFH....

As part of a large extension, we now have both Underfloor and traditional radiator systems in our house. In my opinion the type of heating will depend very much on the uses for rooms, and also their layout.

As one example we have UFH in the kitchen, the combination of the unit layout, doors to other rooms and large sliding patio doors means there is physically nowhere to position radiators. As the room is in a fairly central location and is used as a hub in the home, then underfloor heating works in this location because it never really gets chance to go "cold" on our heating schedule, just dropped back overnight or while we are at work and the kids at school. As it is a central location and well insulated the temperature doesn't drop off a cliff immediately when switched off, and the warmup time is maybe 30-45 minutes.

We also have underfloor heating in the room we use as a kids playroom/family lounge. Its about 7x6m, again with large sliding patio doors one side and a staircase and door on the opposite wall, so radiators would be confined to walls 6m apart, for the heat from those to reach the centre of the room would take just as long as the underfloor, if not longer. These two rooms are both tiled floor, and its nice to have a warn floor for the kids to play with their train sets or lego etc. I wouldn't swap underfloor in these two rooms for radiators at all.

In the rest of the house we have radiators, and as the rooms are smaller, then they seem to work quite well. The rooms are carpeted so underfloor wouldn't really be that efficient in my opinion and as these rooms are left to go "cold", then the warmup time of underfloor simply wouldn't work in these areas (again just my opinion). Especially when their usage pattern can be unpredictable, like an adhoc bathtime for the kids if they have been playing outside. Underfloor would make no sense in the utility room (other than to take the cold edge off the tiled floor), as you can't hang a kids PE kit on underfloor.

In one bathroom we have both, but the underfloor is used just to take the edge off the walk in shower tiled floor and dry up the floor after showers. Its not doing the main heating for the room - thats still a towel radiator.

All the heating is controlled via Evohome, and it allows us to be a lot more economical with the heating in the home. It works well with both systems and Ive never really had reason to fiddle with the schedule due to it not heating rooms up in time etc.

I also believe that heating tall rooms or double height areas (like in the pictures in previous posts), will be a lot better for the customer using underfloor, ad radiators will by their nature radiate the heat out into the room, but it will just then mainly go up to ceiling level, whereas its is my understanding that the underfloor while doing the same, will radiate from the whole floor upward, therefor warming the people on its way up, you dont need to wait for the heat to circulate round. This may be a myth, but it makes some form of sense.

So, in conclusion, both systems have their pros and cons to me as a consumer. The key is putting the right type of heating in the right location. The kitchen and family/playroom I see no reason what so ever why I would want or benefit from radiators in there. For other rooms, I don't see how underfloor would make any sense.

Well Chris. You obviously have no idea whatsoever. I suggest you rip all out and start again.

Chris is clearly not taking the excellent & knowledgeable advice of 24 & BG. Why oh why would you ignore the Google Warrior experts & take the advice from the professional installers??

24 & BG should be banned directly!!

Well Chris. You obviously have no idea whatsoever. I suggest you rip all out and start again.

To be fair, as part of the extension work we made the decision to replumb the whole house. Having now lived with it for two winters and a full summer and the only thing I would do different is have put underfloor into the rest of the tiled area (main hall and utility) on their own separate zones just to take the edge off the tiled floor but this would have involved breaking up the existing slab and relaying with appropriate insulation in this part of the house, so we didn't do it. If I had to do the whole build over again its one of the few changes I would consider.

With a lot more modern minimalis
Chris is clearly not taking the excellent & knowledgeable advice of 24 & BG. Why oh why would you ignore the Google Warrior experts & take the advice from the professional installers??

24 & BG should be banned directly!!

Lol. Everyone has their opinions and favourite ways of installing anything, so I wouldn't hold it against any installer for having their own favourites too. I will always listen to an experts views on why they believe one product or method is better than another, but I wont buy a car without taking it for a test drive, and likewise I had also talked to other people about underfloor heating in their homes before making the decision to have one system installed over another in our own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back