desktop died

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just looking for some advice not to technical please.
i was installing a wireless router on my desktop,i had just pushed the large plug into the correct socket in back panel,then pc turned it self off.
now unable to turn desktop back on.
ok when i switch the mains on.on the front button just a green light appears.nothing else.
before this stopped working on first start up a loud whizzing noise could be heard and a shove on the case stopped the noise.
any ideas,thanks :idea: :idea: :idea:
its just a bog standard desktop.

Sponsored Links
Please post a photo of the "large plug", and the place that you inserted it.

Sounds like you have blown your psu, is there a switch on the psu (red) this alters the current between 210/240 volts if you get this wrong your in trouble computer should be ok just need new psu.

Sounds like you have blown your psu

Possibly

there a switch on the psu (red) this alters the current between 210/240 volts

There is sometimes such a switch, but it switches the voltage between 110 and 240v. Current is current, voltage is voltage

if you get this wrong your in trouble computer should be ok just need new psu.

Not sure how any of this relates to the OP other than that they MAY need a new PSU

Sponsored Links

Possibly

There is sometimes such a switch, but it switches the voltage between 110 and 240v. Current is current, voltage is voltage

Not sure how any of this relates to the OP other than that they MAY need a new PSU

Not sure what your problem is, yes I got the volts wrong by a typing error I also say is there a switch on the psu, and as to how this relates to the op if he has blown his psu he simply needs to buy a psu and not a whole new computer :) pull your head in mate.

Possibly

Not sure what your problem is, yes I got the volts wrong by a typing error I also say is there a switch on the psu, and as to how this relates to the op if he has blown his psu he simply needs to buy a psu and not a whole new computer :) pull your head in mate.

The fact that a green light is appearing when mains is switched on would suggest that the PSU hasn't blown though, wouldn't it?

A way to check if the PSU has blown would be (with mains connected) to use a multimeter to check between the purple connector on the ATX (vsb) and any black wire. If 5V is present, the PSU hasn't "blown"

The fact that a green light is appearing when mains is switched on would suggest that the PSU hasn't blown though, wouldn't it?

Not neccesarily. It might not be dead, but it could certainly be faulty.

A way to check if the PSU has blown would be (with mains connected) to use a multimeter to check between the purple connector on the ATX (vsb) and any black wire. If 5V is present, the PSU hasn't "blown"

Again, that will tell you that it is not totally dead. But it certainly won't tell you that it is working as it should.

Anyway , this is all academic as the OP hasn't answered any of the questions, so you would assume he's binned it or fixed it.

Back