I can't seem to get my wireless adaptor in my pc to work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Belkin wireless router and a usb belkin adaptor plugged into my PC (desktop). It has been working fine for ages then all of a sudden it decided not to work.

So off i pop down to my local pc store to buy a new usb wireless adaptor thinking it must be that and it is still the same.

My laptop works fine wireless to the router so the router must be ok.

i tried allsorts like re installing the software for the adaptor and at 1 point i managed to get the belkin adaptor to find the router but the windows wireless icon never found it. God knows i'm currently connected via ethernet cable and had to bring the pc back down stairs.

what i can't understand is i have not messed about with anything or moved pc so why should it just pack in.

I'm not too good with these things when they go wrong so have anybody got any ideas what to check etc.

Ps i also have Mcafee running which used to secure the wireless connection and that won't work either now.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like Mcafee might be the problem (cos it's ****e). Have you tried removing it. Your router should be securing your wireless connection (if configured correctly. Try to get it all running without any protection and then add this back in once a connection is established.

Igorian said:
Sounds like Mcafee might be the problem (cos it's s***te). Have you tried removing it. Your router should be securing your wireless connection (if configured correctly. Try to get it all running without any protection and then add this back in once a connection is established.
i shall try re installing it without the wireless protection buy i think it just auto installs it as a complete package. I don't want to have my computer un protected by having no AV software on it. Ill try and re install Mcafee without the wireless protection on and see what happens.

thanks

Use one of the free A/V packages while you determine what the problem is. Don't use any firewall software until it works. Software firewalls are generally pants anyway (IMHO).

Sponsored Links
just a quick reply....thanks for everybodys help im really thankful..

I think it turned out to be i have 1 security enabled device on the router and the pc was not setup with the security key properly. I had a mess about and managed to get it working for the time being. Which is the best security setting for the Belkin router to be set on. I think i have it set on 128bit Wep at the moment.

i don't know how the pc managed to forget the key. unless mcafee changed it , but you would expect it to set the pc up with the same key.

anyway i still have mcafee running apart from the wireless manager part of it which i uninstalled.
If i have any probs i will post back but hopefully it is now sorted.

micky p said:

I think it turned out to be i have 1 security enabled device on the router and the pc was not setup with the security key properly. I had a mess about and managed to get it working for the time being. Which is the best security setting for the Belkin router to be set on. I think i have it set on 128bit Wep at the moment.

WPA is better, if you have this option.

micky p said:
i don't know how the pc managed to forget the key. unless mcafee changed it , but you would expect it to set the pc up with the same key.

Only in an ideal world.

Igorian said:
micky p said:

micky p said:

Only in an ideal world.

I have WPA (with radius server)
and WPA-PSK (no server) not sure on the diffence in any to be honest. Which one should i have it set on. or is it a case of not broke don't mend.

Also which AV software would you recommend if i was to un install mcafee.

And if i was to remove Mcafee would it be safe and virus free.

i've just been reading through a post on the software section and it seems AVG is one of the best to download for antivirus and zone alarm for a firewall. I have downloaded both of these but not installed them yet....Is it wise to remove Mcafee and install these instead or is it best to stay with the ball and chain Mcafee. Last thing i want is virus's etc on my computer. would AVG and Zonealarm fully protect my computer even for free.

micky p said:
Igorian said:
micky p said:

micky p said:

Only in an ideal world.

I have WPA (with radius server)
and WPA-PSK (no server) not sure on the diffence in any to be honest. Which one should i have it set on. or is it a case of not broke don't mend.

Also which AV software would you recommend if i was to un install mcafee.

And if i was to remove Mcafee would it be safe and virus free.

I doubt that you have a radius server, so the latter would apply.

No-one can guarantee that you will ever remain virus free. If I were to make a recommendation, someone else would recommend something else. Search the forum, it's been discussed in depth before.

micky p said:
i've just been reading through a post on the software section and it seems AVG is one of the best to download for antivirus and zone alarm for a firewall. I have downloaded both of these but not installed them yet....Is it wise to remove Mcafee and install these instead or is it best to stay with the ball and chain Mcafee. Last thing i want is virus's etc on my computer. would AVG and Zonealarm fully protect my computer even for free.

I don't use a software firewall either and I can't say that i've ever had any problems that weren't of my own creation.

If you want a softwall firewall then go for it. It doesn't take up much resource and provides extra security. Better to be safe then sorry in my opinion. You could just use the firewall built into the router but then that is down to how much risk you want to take. Why do people instal burgular alarms when the doors and windows have locks??? The firewall built into routers are not that hard to get around. Again it is your choice - no doubt someone will reply who only uses there router firewall praising how great it is - so again it comes down to how secure you want your information to be.

The best firewall around at the minute is KIS 6 (Kaspersky Internet Security) has anti-virus and anti-spyware built in.

But if you want free ones - then Zonealarm (which I use) if very good. For the Anti-virus, AVG is fine but is you can get Nod32 then that would be better.

saclarke1977 said:
The firewall built into routers are not that hard to get around.

Maybe you can explain to us all how you would achieve this?

Sponsored Links
Back