Desperate for someone with planning expertise to help us

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours were granted planning permission and in our opinion the planned extension has a massive impact upon our privacy and causes a loss of amenity. We are considering complaining to the ombudsman but would like a second opinion before we do so. Have spent hours trying to research the subject but have been unable to find any real help on the matter. Do you have any planning expertise? Would you be willing to give us a second opinion and guidance on this matter? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for getting in touch, the extension shell is now built, is it possible to communicate in privacy in his forum, as I am probably better sending you a picture?

did you object at the planning permission stage? i don't think you will be able to do anything now if it has been through the planning process and been approved.

you can by all means send me a photo privately, either through this forum or through my website.

Eddy

No offence and I can understand your desire for privacy but you (may) benefit from keeping it in the thread as (no offence to Polstar but you've only made 3 posts in 2 years and this one leaves your company contact details) there may well be others who can usefully help you too. You can upload pictures to your profile and post them in the thread. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
apologies for appearing underhanded, i was not thinking that at all! although i am willing to help others :)

I guess the poster can u[pload photos to here?

Yes we did object at the planning stage, we understand now the only action we can now take is through the ombudsman. Before we take it to the ombudsman we would really like a second opinion, can i still send you the pictures and more details through your website?

no one can stop you but as the moderator says, there might be more people to give third, fourth, fifth (etc) opinions!

I have just joined the forum and I see i am in trouble already lol, apologies, it was not my intention to cause a problem, particularly as i am desperate for help. I know this might sound mad but I dont feel comfortable posting pictures on a public forum. What I will do is explain in more detail about the situation. Hope thats ok.

You can complain to the ombudsman but it won't get the offending extension removed. If you can prove some maladministration or that the planners approved the application contrary to policy or law then you might get some compensation. But if you do achieve that you will become a member of a very exclusive club.

You are unlikely to get anywhere with impact because it's too subjective. There are tens of thousands of ugly builidngs put up directly on the boundary between properties and you'd have to show why yours is so different to all the others.

Privacy is usually more clear cut. It should either comply with policy or not. Best explain your situation so people can judge.

this sounds like you might be a bit over sensitive! you are assuming that it is worse to be overhead from a bedroom than the neighbour sitting in their own garden. You call the extension overbearing but at the same time, it is lower than your patio. If the planning condition is that the roof windows should be obscure glazed, you can call the enforcement team and raise this issue with them. Look at it from a different angle, their wall now creates a barrier between your outside space and theirs. I don't think (from what you have described) it will vastly de-value your house (though i am not an estate agent). My mother had an unsightly rear extension built next to her house and it didn't even need planning as it was permitted development, anyhow, that turned out to be not as bad as she first thought. I am not sure that anyone from the new annex will be overly interested in craning hteir neck to look up through the roof window to peer into your bedroom (as much as they would be able to see).

You can try the ombudsman but as Jeds says, it won't get it removed. Maybe you could erect a 2m high fence(no need for planning-usually) along the same boundary and this will help with noise and vision intrusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back