Desperate for someone with planning expertise to help us

Sponsored Links
To be honest I don't see anything that would interest the ombudsman. You can't expect planners to refuse applications because a noisy neighbour might move in. Your neighbours might move out and sell to the all time champions of the noisy neighbours from hell world championships. But even then it's not a planning issue. At best (or worst) it might be a nuisance issue - if it happens at all. The sight of a sloping roof might not be what you want but it's hardly overbearing impact. Tens of thousands of people live with rooftops at close proximity - you would have to show why yours is more overbearing than the others? Your neighbours might hear your conversation on the patio. Not ideal I agree but let's be honest. They could easily sit the other side of the fence and listen to your conversation. Doesn't mean they want to or will.

My advice really is don't get started on it. I get a lot of calls from people wanting advice on objecting to neighbouring planning applications, but when I ask them to look logically at what the problem really is they always find it difficult to rationalise. I think they just don't want change, or they are worried that change will bring something bad. In the vast majority of cases it doesn't and after a period of time things settle down, they get used to it and it isn't a problem. The ones that really get on their high horses don't let it go so they never get used to it and I promise you those are the ones that suffer more and for longer. As I said in an earlier post you won't get the planning decision reversed so you would be far better off telling yourself it will be fine and just live with it.

Sponsored Links
i have looked at your sketches, i kind of agree with you about the windows, although i am struggling to get my head aroun why you think this extension is going to have people sat in it 24 hours a day looking into your bedrrom, listening to what you are saying when in your garden and playing music so loud you will hear it??? I would go back to enforcement and raise a complaint that the windows should be obscure glazed. If you buy a house that close to your adjoining neighbou, you can't really complain when they extend up to it.

I know i sound unsympathetic, but i have been on the other side plenty of times. There are no planning regulations that have been infringed, they are just trying to get the most out of their property in the way that they want to use it.

Eddy Myers
Polstar Building Design

Given the relative angles and heights of their rooflights and your bedroom window, will they actually be able to look into your room or just the first few feet of your ceiling and anyone/anything at the window?
You also need to consider that whoever is occupying this extension is probably not wanting to feel that someone could look down through their rooflights and see what they're up to from a neighbouring property. Neither would they want their conversations overheard by neighbours sitting on their patio. So in all probability they will want to keep the opening obscured anyway.
I understand your frustration but people do have housing estates or business parks built on fields they once overlooked or High Speed Rail lines built at the end of their road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back