Detached concrete type garage & Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My first post so be gentle.

I propse to remove my old single garage and replace with a double size pre fabricated concrete type (Compton).

The size I want is over 30 m2 floor area and I have been told this will come under building regs.

I want to prepare and lay the base myself.

Before I start I want to know what the regs will stipulate, eg depth of slab, reinforced or not, DPC, will I have to catch the rainwater and build soakaway, etc.

The wiring side of things is not a problem because I've got a sparks who will install and certificate for me.

I tried to speak to the planning dept at my local council about this but they just said put application in (£200+) and the inspector will advise on site.

If it gets silly with the amount of extra work I might just get a garage under 30m2 but I dont want to pay them £200 odd quid to find that out.

Any advice on how the regs will affect me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Iain

Sponsored Links
Hi Iain,

The Compton Garage site has all the details for DIY garage bases and it is quite comprehensive, they also provide details of the building legislation for the various types of garages that they provide.

good luck

sinned

How big do you want it to be? ..and what will you be using it for? Ours is a standard 5x6m, bang on 30sqm, plenty of room in there to work with, the only extra I'd suggest is to make sure you get decent headroom. 8-9ft walls would be sensible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have looked further on comptons site and there is indeed a lot more info on there.

I think I will put in an application and get the building inspector out to go through how they require the base to be constructed.

I need a double garage for 2 cars, a bench and the odd bit of junk.
19' x 22' (about 38m2) should provide this. My garden is big enough for it not to look out of place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back