Sectional Garage Just over 30m2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking at getting a sectional garage.

The internal measurement is just over 30m2 (actually 30.25) which puts it in line for building regs.

(The next size garage down is a couple of feet narrower.)

My question is this:

Can I line one of the internal walls so that the total internal area is just under 30m2 and so avoid the need for building regs. :?:

Cheers,

Iain

Sponsored Links
I enquired about planning permission and it is not required due to location , size of detached garage compared to garden & location of garage .
However , because it is over 30 m2 building regs apply to base construction, collection of rainwater & wiring.

I want to avoid the unnecessary additional costs over a few inches.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Iain

I think you will find you have to reduce the entire floor area. In other words external to external measurement if you want to slot into the next section down in the building regs costs.

Also. Have you got something in writing from the planning dept confirming you do not need an application?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Alpcon.

I sent a householder enquiry form with diagrams and measurements to the council about my garage proposal.
They replied that it did not need planning permission because it did not meet any of their criteria.

I also received a guide to building regs for householders from them.

I quote from the booklet...

Do I need building regs approval to build a detached garage?

YES. But a single storey garage at ground floor level, with no sleeping accomodation, under 30m2 in floor area is exempt provided either:

(i) It is constructed of substantially non combustable material

or

(ii) When built, it has a clear space of at least one metre from boundaries of the property.

I took this as internal floor area - I just need this clarifying.

Cheers,

Iain

Ok

Planning looks to be alright - got something in writing - good :D

I am 99% certain the area has to below 30m2 measuring from the outside skin - I will check and get back to on this.

In all honesty if the structure is a tad over who is going to know! after all the bco is not going to come out and measure it but you never know :eek:

In all honesty if the structure is a tad over who is going to know! after all the bco is not going to come out and measure it but you never know :eek:

a fall out with a neighbour and all hell could break loose.

it has been known for a project costing hundreds of thousands of pounds, to be demolished because it was built a 'tad' too close to a neighbouring building

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back