Detached garage/storage space to utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Grateful if I could pick your collective brains on whether I will need to inform building control regarding putting a washer and dryer in the separate storage room in my garage.

The building is block and render 8 x 5 metres, with the garage taking up 5.5 x 5 and the storage space taking up 2.5 x 5 metres. There is a block wall which separates the two spaces with a UPVC door.

Having just received the news that we have a little one on the way :eek: I thought it'd be useful to take the washing and drying away from the house and create a bit more space in the kitchen. So...I wondered if I'm going to have to go through building control if I want to move the washer and dryer out to the garage?

Anybody have any idea about this? The garage is 20 metres away from my house (bottom of the garden) and if building control aren't worried about this kind of thing, I was going to run a (considerable) length of pipe pinned to the fence into the interceptor to save digging up the garden.

Thoughts and reflections would be much appreciated...

A

Sponsored Links
bigger problem will be the size off the armoured cable to accomodate a 20- 30 amp supply at around 30m from the consumer unit

and the fact you need to notify under part"P" and pay for testing or get a certyfied spark to do it :cry:

Thanks for that Yes, there is ample power and water dowm there already - it's just a case of getting the waste water away.

PrenticeBoyofDerry, when you say that w waste connection is need to a gully...The washing machine is currently in the kitchen. A waste pipe takes the waste to a gully outside the kitchen. Would it be OK to basically take the washing machine, put it in the garage 20 metres away from the house and run a pipe along the fence to the gully - it's the same drainage arrangement, only via 20 metres of waste pipe! What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
you do realise that a normal 13 amp supply wont be sufficient as the tumble and washing machine in there own right can use up to 13 amps on there own [26 amps]
also a normal 13 amp [2.5 mm ] cable will have to big a volt drop over 20m to supply 230v at 13 amps ??

I am not sure about the running and routing of waste, I would assume if it was fixed secure to a secure structure and the fall on the pipe allowed waste to freely flow it should be okay. I would use 40mm plastic pipe this should help prevent frost and frozen pipes. Do you not have a rain water gully for the garage? Could this be used?

The electrics is more my thing, do you know what you're current set up is?
If you have appliances, lighting and other power sockets in the garage for other uses.
I would propose that you would be best having a garage CU installed with a 30ma RCD, running a socket circuit and a lighting circuit. with the supply cable between the house a garage being at least 4.00mm steel wire armoured. This will allow for 49Amps. so you could then run a 32A ring or 20 amp ring or radial circuit to offer power to your sockets and 6A lighting circuit.
If your existing installation is ample as you state, without sounding off hand, how do you come to this conclusion?
Any alteration to the existing set within the garage(special location applies)
must be notified and have RCD protection.

Thanks again for the useful advice. The electrics aren't a problem. There are 2 rings of 32A (one for garage space, one for storage space) and a 10mm armoured cable. All certificates in place and I've worked closely with the electrician on this to ensure there is enough capacity for now and any future development.

I know what you are saying about the gully, but unfortunately there isn't one by the garage. There's a soakaway 5m away, but that's it. Looks like it will be a case of a long run of plastic pipe with plenty of access points going into the house.

Still not 100% on whether building control need to be involved or indeed if planning permission needs to be sought for putting a washing machine in the garage...have looked in the archives, but nothing seems to fit to this particular case. Thought there might be issues with fire regs and whatnot if I start running washing machine and dryer down there.

I think if the space is not to be lived in PP wouldn't be needed or change of use!
Sounds like the electrics in good order.
Have you thought about digging for a drain and installing a gully.
Just 20m seems a fair distance for a waste pipe to run at the correct angle to get a good flow rate.
But would be worth asking the question on the plumbing forum, you could always link them to this thread, if needs be!

This is the link to this (your) thread, if it helps
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=241162
copy and paste it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back