Utility space in detached garage/storage building...advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Grateful if I could pick your collective brains on whether I will need to inform building control regarding putting a washer and dryer in the separate storage room in my garage.

The building is block and render 8 x 5 metres, with the garage taking up 5.5 x 5 and the storage space taking up 2.5 x 5 metres. There is a block wall which separates the two spaces with a UPVC door.

Having just received the news that we have a little one on the way I thought it'd be useful to take the washing and drying away from the house and create a bit more space in the kitchen. So...I wondered if I'm going to have to go through building control if I want to move the washer and dryer out to the garage?

Anybody have any idea about this? The garage is 20 metres away from my house (bottom of the garden) and if building control aren't worried about this kind of thing, I was going to run a (considerable) length of pipe pinned to the fence into the interceptor to save digging up the garden.

Thoughts and reflections would be much appreciated...

A

Sponsored Links
Not sure if youve thought this through. The water in the pipe will freeze in the winter and depending on the type of dryer you have, it may not heat up enough to be of any use. If its like my old one it draws in outside air, heats that up and passes it through the dryer.

if there is already power and drainage in the garage then the answer is quite simply no.
however, if you need to install electrical outlets and drains then you will need the electrics installed by an electrician WITH part P qualifications OR BS2391 certificate. as for draniage, its up to you but if you have no drains then i would run one surface down the garden to your nearest inlet gully.
I agree with meadowhog too, make sure those pipes are well lagged if you are going to run them outside.
Hope that helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back