Planning And building control advice for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I live a a converted flat which is 1 of 4. All three other flats have a garage and now i would like to build one. I am in the trade but just need some advise.

I already have the footprint of the garage which is currently 2 lean too sheds with polycarb roofs. The sheds are 2-3ft below the street level.

I want to remove the sheds and build the garage using block and beam to have a 2-3ft crawl space / storage space and then have the garage above.

The garage will be right next to another garage of similar make up ie crawl space underneath.

Only issue i see is the party wall between the garages and digging foundations next to the party wall to carry the block and beams

The garage will be about 3.5 x 5.

I am also in a conservation area. Shouldn't be a problem as i am the only flat not to have a garage.

The garage will look identical to the other 3. nothing fancy or different.

Regarding plans. Do i have to get a local architect or can i measure up and get one done online ?

Would i need building control ?

Is there any advice or pointers you could give me. Anything would be helpful.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
I want to remove the sheds and build the garage using block and beam to have a 2-3ft crawl space / storage space and then have the garage above.
Is there any practical use for 2 feet of crawl space?

Only issue i see is the party wall between the garages and digging foundations next to the party wall to carry the block and beams
This could be quite a relevant issue particularly in view of the depths involved.

I am also in a conservation area. Shouldn't be a problem as i am the only flat not to have a garage.
Don't bet on it.

Regarding plans. Do i have to get a local architect or can i measure up and get one done online ?

Would i need building control ?
You can submit a drawing to the planning department yourself if you wish, but it must represent accurately and to scale, your proposed works and nearby buildings etc. O.S. maps springs to mind.

If it is detached and there are no toilet facilities etc, then B.C. won't be interested.

The way you have structured your post, you make it seem like you think you have the direct right to just build a garage, neatly sidestepping the first basic notion that most flats are leasehold and it's actually someone else (the freeholder) that must agree permission for this for you.. Unless of course, your lease assigns you rights to construct things on the shared land (unusual)

Just checking what the case is.. ?

You wait ages for a bus and then 2 come along at once !

It will be 3ft crawl space and yes to store ladders and step and other items that i use once or twice a year.

The foundations are one of the main issues i have against the party wall. (the party wall is another garage so they will end up side by side)

Our flat is 1 of 4 in the same block use to be 2 semi detached houses. They all have garages. I find it hard to believe they will decline planning. It will actually make the whole building tie in together better once complete. Plus the amount of works that has been going one recently on our private road has had n problems. Some one even managed to demolish and house and pretty much rebuild it new build and was granted retrospective planning on a 5 bed detached house overlooking the sea in a conversation area !! i only want a little garage.

I thought about drawing something up myself using survey maps but the one site i tried had wrong info (recommended by PP). I don't mind paying for someone to draw one up for me, i just want to know the best way to go about it ie, building control ? Architect ? Structural engineer ? and who to ring first

Its not detached but one side wall will be the party wall to next doors garage which already exists at road level with a crawl space. (the party wall)

I own the ground floor flat on my side and i own the lease hold and the freehold of the building. plus my current sheds are on my allocated land.

I just want a bit of guidance of who i should get in touch with and what steps i should take. Im a carpenter by trade and have a brickie who will be actually putting the walls up etc. I have fitted block and beam before but have not designed the make up only followed plans and specs.

Thanks for you replies

Sponsored Links
does your property still have its permitted development rights intact? they may have been removed when planning to turn the house into flats, or by way of a general article 4 direction.. if you still have them, you may not even need planning permission for an outbuilding such as this.. more info on the site (google maps link) would be handy

Planning:
As freddymercurystwin states there is no Permitted Development for flats, so you will need to submit a planning application. Often your Local Authority can provide the OS plan for you to draw the red line around and you also need a block plan, leaving you to draw the plans and elevations. As you are leasehold you shall need to serve notice to the freeholder. If you contact an Architect or Architectural Services company you should be able to find a company that takes on projects this size.

Assuming you get a beneficial outcome from the Local Authority planning depatment you cannot necessarily legally build as I should think you also need the freeholder's consent but this depends on you deeds etc.

Building regulations should not be required due to the size and use of the building but there are certain requirements for building close to a boundary (fire spread) and obviously the foundation requirement and wall stability, all of which is reasonably standard and the above Architectural chappy should be able to advise.

Party Wall etc Act would apply which initially involves notifying your neighbour of your intended work.

Good luck. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back