Detecting pipes/cables when drilling into external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I am new and need some advice please. I am planning to use an SDS drill to make some 190mm holes into the outside of my house to install dryrod damp-proofing rods https://dryrods.com.

The wall is a brick cavity wall with cavity insulation. The instructions state to drill to 190mm and insert the rods all the way in (they are 180mm). Do I need to be concerned about drilling into pipes/cables or are these not likely to be present drilling 190mm into an external wall from the outside?

If I do need to be aware of these can anyone recommend a pipe/cable detector please as the ones I have been looking at in DIY shops seem to work to a depth that is much less the 190mm.

Thank you in advance for any insights offered.

Sponsored Links
Pipes and cables are unlikely to appear randomly.

a cable will come up or down to a socket so if there are no sockets in an area it's safe to assume that there shouldn't be any cable present - but wise to check.

Ditto pipes - they will feed hot and cold taps but are unlikely to be in the living room or dining room.

If you can see under the floor it's a bonus.

Incidentally '190mm hole" is a big round hole. You mean 12mm hole 190mm DEEP

I would not expect the drill to come through the wall, and cables/pipes are not buried too deeply
But check.

You won’t hit any pipes or cables unless someone’s done something strange like run them in the cavity which is pretty unlikely. You won’t get a detector that can find them through 4” of brick anyway either

Hi Tiger, 23vc, thank you for the suggestions. That's right its a 12mm hole, my mistake. Its at the back of the house which has a utility room, toilet and kitchen. There is a boiler and sink mounted on the kitchen wall so I'll do my best to trace these if I can't use a detector from the outside. Do you think there is any mileage in using a detector from the inside if I can get low enough? Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% sure, at a guess Bricks are 4 inches where I can measure with the total being from outside to inside being a foot, so leaves 4 inches for the cavity, plastering,tiles and paper after taking off 2X 4 inch bricks, sorry its a guesstimate at best.

I would probably do some more research on the chemical damp proofing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back