Drilling through external walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the correct method to drill from the outside inwards or the inside outwards?

I would prefer to drill from the inside outwards but am worried about splitting a big chunk of external brick like my friendly cable installer managed to do not so long ago!

If I was to drill from the outside inwards I'd imagine I risk a lump of plaster falling of the internal wall , which I don't fancy either :confused:

Can anyone advise me on the best method?

Sponsored Links
What size hole do you want?
If you can go through from either side with a small drill, then use the big drill from both sides.
Depends on the size of hole, If it is a small hole, just dont push to hard.

I only need a 15mm hole.

I thought about drilling from either side but knowing my luck they wouldn't meet up.

I'm using a new SDS drill bit ,but unless you put all your weight behind it on hammer it doesn't seem to make any progress.

I think I would decide what side I prefer the chip.
Its easy to replaster than repair a brick.

Sponsored Links
a1topdog said:
I'm using a new SDS drill bit ,but unless you put all your weight behind it on hammer it doesn't seem to make any progress.
:confused: who`s sds drill ? a good one should punch thru` concrete on it`s own , virtually :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back