deterioration of 'coal' in living flame gas fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two of these fires, both ten years old ( one valor, one cozyfire) I understand they have only been used for about 10 evenings per year.

However, on both fires, the coals have discoloured to a rather unpleasant brown/grey effect with some white patches.

If we replace with new 2011 fires, can we expect similar deterioration - and are any brands better than others in this respect?

Sponsored Links
If you fit the most expensive and best coals this will happen, they are only fake coal and do take a beating. Make sure they are set up correctly as this will aid the colour change

If we replace with new 2011 fires, can we expect similar deterioration - and are any brands better than others in this respect?[/quote]

Yes. & Not really

Why not buy a new set of coals or logs..my logs are 6 yrs old & look like old logs..

Sponsored Links
Thanks- four interesting perspectives.

Does anyone know if the 'pebbles' discolour/deteriorate?

They start nice then start going black unless you buy a very good fire paragon seem nice and work well. Focal point are cheap junk imo

Why bother replacing the coal. Fire is known as LFE fire (live fuel effect). 'Battered' coal is more realistic than jet black lump that sits there in the fire bed. Do replace if the 'lumps' are broken and reduced in size as flames have to impinge on the bed.

Why bother replacing the coal. Fire is known as LFE fire (live fuel effect). 'Battered' coal is more realistic than jet black lump that sits there in the fire bed. Do replace if the 'lumps' are broken and reduced in size as flames have to impinge on the bed.

Totally agree,

And to put my ten peneth worth in....
those silly "pebbles" just look STUPID! everyone knows pebbles don't burn!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for replies.

We will replace the fires as part of renovation.

The Boss has reviwed all the replies and decided we will have 'coal' again and, over time will decide if we like battered coal or if we replace/repaint.

Regards

Do check, some if not all manufactures do not recommend spraying their coals with paint.

Don't ask the reason why!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back