Determining Extractor Fan Voltage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the extractor fan in my bathroom, and as I want to buy a "drop in" replacement, I need to determine if the existing fan is 12v or 230v.

(I'm going to get a qualified electrician to fit the new fan, but I'd prefer to already have the correct fan when he arrives, so he only needs to make one visit).

I switched off the household power and took the cover off the existing extractor fan, hoping that I would see "12v" or "240v" or a model number printed somewhere inside the fan. Unfortunately not :( I did notice that there were two capacitors on the PCB rated as "270 VAC" and "250 VAC".

The rating of the capacitors suggests to me that this is a 230v fan - does that sound like a reasonable conclusion? If not, does anyone have any ideas how I might discover the voltage of the fan?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a 230V fan, but the way to check is to see what it's connected to. A 12v will be wired to a transformer to step down the voltage to 12v. If it's connected straight to the mains supply then it's 230V.

A test with a multimeter would confirm for definite.

Thanks stem.

I can't see any transformer, so it's all pointing to it being 230v.

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
Transformer might be in the loft.

I'm sure your electrician won't mind calling in when he's next passing to have a look. It'll only take a minute or so. I'd much rather do that and make sure I get the right fan than have a customer supply the wrong one, or an inferior super cheap ebay special, or one where the cable doesn't reach etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back