Development land with Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door to us is a piece of land that belongs to the LA. They have been given full PP for 8 units with a lot of restrictions. The LA have put it up for sale. So I'm wondering, could a buyer come along and reapply for PP with an entirely different application or does it not work like that and the developer will almost certainly have to go with the approved plans?
It's located within a conservation area.

Sponsored Links
They are free to reapply for planning permission as they see fit. The sale with PP is solely to show the potential buyer a basic return. Of course the LA might reject subsequent requests and restrictions aren't so easy to get removed on appeal.

You could always have a discussion with Planning about a potential submission to get their guidance to you as an possible buyer.

Not if there is a covenant, lease or licence attached to the sale

They are free to reapply for planning permission as they see fit. The sale with PP is solely to show the potential buyer a basic return. Of course the LA might reject subsequent requests and restrictions aren't so easy to get removed on appeal.

You could always have a discussion with Planning about a potential submission to get their guidance to you as an possible buyer.

The approval is a long document, it covers tree preservation, overlooking and privacy concerns amongst other things. I know for a fact that apartments would not be approved, that came out in the initial consultations. I have to say the application was very thorough, it went through maybe 3 or 4 designs to arrive at the approved version. This all took several years. We all thought it would be developed by the LA and their development partnership, because so much effort and probably money, was spent to get approval.

For anyone interested, it's 25-27 Alexandra Rd, Weymouth.

Sponsored Links
How random seeing this thread. I live on Caledonian close and also noticed the for sale sign late last week. Previously lived on Grosvenor road so glad to see it didn't get permission for apartments like the other properties that have been developed in the area.

I am going to speak to Savill's as an 'interested party' see if I can glean any further info...

In reply to woody and rssteve. Our house in this street was built on land that was sold in 1928. It had a stipulation that only a single residence could be built on it and only for private use, ie no business use. Our land was sold by a local estate owner who i understand owned the land next door. So it may well have had similar restrictions of use on it's title.
Savill's have said they will be vetting the bidders for suitability. By that they mean the buyer will have to have a good track record on other projects. They also said the LA want this design to be built, so there could be some conditions set on the sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back