Dewalt chuck problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im hoping that some knowledgable person can help me solve my problem.
My newish 18v cordless drill/driver chuck is playing up.I can tighten the chuck up sufficiently to drive in screws etc BUT when i switch to reverse the chuck loosens itself and the screwdriver bit falls out!! Its doing my head in.....It is out of warranty,so before i take it in to get fixed/new chuck,i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem which they managed to rectify themselves.This is the model in question http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=141603
Thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
i went through 2 of these in as many months because the chuck/clutch had problems with them,wouldnt tighten up correctly then they would not move over to hammer or back down,never again,which is a shame coz i had my 14.v one for 5 years with no problems at all,dont help your predicament i know but i wonder if dewalt are aware theres a few drills out there not working properly?
i now have a makita 18v mxt cordless,very good drill.

Yeah they do that, not really a lot you can do about it other than get a new chuck. Or something made by a decent manufacturer...

I put my screwgun in for repair and it cost me £36+vat for a new chuck

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as though the threads of the chuck and drill are not mating properly. i.e. one or other are not machined "on axis" or the flat surfaces that are meant to lock together are not touching properly or even the male thread is too long so its bottoming in the hole first.
to check:- with chuck off, are the flat areas of chuck and body, flat and smooth? Is there evidence of their surfaces touching all over? With the chuck on, does the mating line of the two parts look good?
It could be worth inserting a washer between the two parts, also if you can think of engineering a way of giving the chuck a good tap in the reverse direction, just to seat the threads in case there is some roughness somewhere.
Frank

Just got my screwgun back today so i cant try what you suggested unfortunately.....still im just pleased to have it back.I think the price i paid for the chuck was somewhat of a bargain.Dewalt were listing the chuck at something like £58+vat :eek:

Thats the very lastest "fast" chuck isn't it? The idea being it self-tightens?

Intristically don't like it myself, would prefer a proper old hand-tightning chuck, but havn't had any real issues with. yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back