DeWalt DC728 Type 10 - Jammed Adjustment Collar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a second hand DeWalt DC728 Type 10 for my birthday and have taken it apart to give it a good clean, oil the internals and see about replacing the adjustment collar, since it is pretty worn down - the numbers have nearly worn off, etc.

While cleaning it, I managed to get part 23* - the adjustment collar - wedged forward.

2013-05-26%2022.21.47.jpg

No matter how much I try, I can't get it back in it's original position. I tried to remove the chuck to try and get to it that way, but couldn't get the chuck screw (part 27*) out of the chuck assembly - snapping 3 T20 torx bits in the process.

* Diagram: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4436229/01_6026.GIF

Any idea how I'd go about getting the adjustment collar back into position? I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Sorry no answers but regarding the breaking torx bits is it possible the bolt is left handed?

Sorry no answers but regarding the breaking torx bits is it possible the bolt is left handed?

Yeah, most chuck replacement guides that I came across said it was a reverse thread screw, so I've been trying to undo it clockwise.

I ordered in a couple of titanium bits to replace the broken ones, so I'm hoping they'll be able to survive the torque needed to break through the locktight seal.

I don't have a vice to hold the drill assembly while working on it, which doesn't help - if I still can't get it off with the new bit I'm going to see if my father has an impact wrench and borrow his workshop in order to attempt this method:

Apparently, stressing the chuck (usually by using a hex wrench) can break the locktight seal on the screw, so that's my plan if it still refuses to play nice once I have access to a vice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back