Dewalt DCD785m1 or Makita dhp456rmwx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the market for a new Combi drill
Have seen both the Dewalt DCD785m1 or Makita dhp456rmwx
They are pretty much identical in price and will be getting with the 4.0ah battery
Any advice on choosing between the two will be appreciated
Cheers
Tom

Sponsored Links
Looking at the specs, they look pretty similar TBH... hopefully someone who has one of these particular models will be able to offer more specific insight.

Thanks

They do look really similar

Am also hoping people who have one or the other can share their experiences

I can't comment directly on those two models but both are likely to be just fine. Makita have a great range of bare tools that will run off the same battery so if you are likely to want more kit, that may swing it. Otherwise, I would try and get hands on and see which feels best in your hand. I slightly prefer DeWalt ergonomics but choose Makita because of the wide range of compatible tools (and because some of their kit is manufactured in the UK).

Sponsored Links
Thanks ntb
I think you have confirmed what I was guessing, that the dewalt may feel slightly better but was swaying to the makita thinking of build quality and is something that would potentially last me longer

I'm not sure I would stick my neck out and claim that Makita are better quality than DeWalt. They both have their advocates as do Milwaukee, Blue Bosch and others. I tend to view them as broadly on a par when you take their ranges as a whole with the Bosch perhaps being slightly better and slightly more expensive.

If you are only ever going to need one drill for diy, it doesn't really matter who you go with - you will still have a decent drill. If you use a lot of kit there are other factors that come into play like I said. For example, I have a Makita hedge trimmer and strimmer that run off the same battery as my drills. A mate that I work with regularly has chosen to go with Makita to be compatible with me (eg battery sharing) on jobs.

On specs alone i'd be tempted to go for the DeWALT ( It's also marginally cheaper) however as someone said the Makita has a decent range of bare tools should you need to expand your kit.

Both are good for their price range though.

Oli@FFX tools.

Thanks ntb
I think you have confirmed what I was guessing, that the dewalt may feel slightly better but was swaying to the makita thinking of build quality and is something that would potentially last me longer

If it's of any use, I saw the makita on display in screwfix yesterday (other vendors are available :D) It looked a pretty decent bit of kit, esp for the money, sadly they didn't have the equivalent dewalt on display. All in all I feel that either one won't let you down. The battery sharing / bare kit thing is really relevant, when you consider the bulk of the cost is in the batteries / charger!!

Thank you all for your comments

After reading and researching some more i am swaying towards the Dewalt purely for the fact it has more torque and the magnet for extra drill bits

I do not think i will need more cordless tools so the battery sharing should not be an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back