Dewalt substitute 18v batteries…..which one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, am looking to buy a couple of new 5mh batteries and am tempted by something like the Waitely after market as a substitute for the real thing.
can anyone recommend a good substitute battery or is it a matter of ‘you get what you pay for’

thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
If your a trade buy dewalt.
4ah battery is only £43 at moment on amazon and 5ah was recently £48.
There again for the price of a Waitely its worth a punt.
I've bought mikita knock offs and they were OK. Plastic cases wasn't so good.
I have a mix of knock off and original batteries but given the choice I'd stick with original ones.

Note that knock of batteries, even though they might (if you are lucky) total 5Ah of charge, they are likely to use batteries for say computers not batteries for power tools. Batteries for computes are designed to discharge slowly (say 10hrs). Batteries for tools are designed so that they are not damaged by massive and quick power drains (for example when using a saw or drill under load.
Unfortunately you pay for what you get.
And there is a case of buy cheap buy twice.
Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Lost…..I guess there must be a lot of guys that use them. I’m sort of thinking that if they didn’t work to well they wouldn’t have an ongoing market for them. @ £22 I think I’ll give them a go and report back

I've been using the Waitley knock off batteries for a few years. The casings aren't quite as strong as the OEM batteries and the contents don't last as long in trade use (I reckon 3-1/2 to 4 years as opposed to 5 years or so for OEMs), but Waitley at least make 9Ah batteries, which for battery hogs like the twin battery plunge saw, recip saw, etc are very handy. Makita could do with learning from Bosch, deWalt, Hikoki and Milwaukee, all of whom make high amperage batteries for their 18 volt kit

Dewalt make 9.0AH although 54volt. That will work on 18volt but not cheap.
They just released some new batteries

All cost a fair bit though.

Dewalt make 9.0AH although 54volt. That will work on 18volt but not cheap.
They just released some new batteries

All cost a fair bit though.
the old 6ah are about £95 ish but the 9ah is around £125
powerstack as a 2ah battery is around £75

Hi Guys, am looking to buy a couple of new 5mh batteries and am tempted by something like the Waitely after market as a substitute for the real thing.
can anyone recommend a good substitute battery or is it a matter of ‘you get what you pay for’

thanks for any input.
It’s a matter of you get what you pay for I think. If not, you might just as well buy a substitute tool as a replacement for the real thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back