Dewalt tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody got a contact e-mail for dewalt (from an instruction manual etc). I am trying to find out if a 110volt mitre saw from the usa would work over here on a site transformer and would like to get it from the horses mouth, however the website seems to have no contact details.

Cheers

Thermo

Sponsored Links
in theory it will work,(110v) how ever a site isolation transformer is centre tapped.

this means that instead of 110v to earth / neutral (as the saw is expecting)

you have 55v to earth from either leg.

so instead of 110v - 0v

you get

55v - 0v - 55v

the 0v being the centre tap.

also your saw will be designed to run at 110v 60hz, in the uk its 50hz, so your saw will run slightly slower, it may even over work it and burn it out

so in theory yes, but practically not! thankyou better to know now then later! I was just considering buying a dewalt dw708 in the us where its half the price, but it sounds like a very false economy!

Thermo said:
I was just considering buying a dewalt dw708 in the us where its half the price, but it sounds like a very false economy!

more so than you realise, see my new post (which i havent written yet)

Sponsored Links
not having seen your new post which you havnt written yet, what comes next, is there something about the 708 i need to be aware of???

certainly if you shop around a bit here you can get good deals on all of the DeWalt range.

I bought a 708 in the uk and I think it cost £420, I would be surprised if you can get the same tool in the US for £200 (especially when you consider shipping, import duty and VAT). Plus at the end of the day should you ever want to sell it on, you basically have a tool that no one would buy

I did read it......afterwards.....because then I would have added insurance, bonded warehouse storage, CC. company conversion fee....the list goes on :D

I brought a Dewalt 744 table saw and 705 mitre saw back from the US last year. Unless you use these items continuously in a workshop environment you should have no problem running them from a transformer, which is what I have been doing

thats as maybe, but you imported them ilegaly, cant get spares from here, had to pay to go to usa to get them, most people are not that rich to do that

quick guestimation

dewalt tool £300.00
trip to America to get tool £450.00
trip back from America with tool £450.00

total cost of tool £1200.00

hmmmmm, think i wont bother

(not to mention if HM customs find out)

Cost of getting tools From USA Zero
Uncle brought them over for me.
Cost of DW744 in UK 599 I paid $450 half price
Cost of DW705/ 706 in UK 469 i paid $ 280 half price

Let HM customs worry about the drug runners

I am not wishing to be alkward about this, but facts are facts.

you have a tool ileagaly brought into this country, you cant get spares over here for it.(its waranty is void, since it is not being used in the U.S.A for where it was designed)

You are lucky you have an uncle that did this for you
My point is you are lucky that this was done for you, most people can not do this.

The inital post was for some one considering getting a tool from the USA, is it worth it etc, I pointed out the potential problems of it (import duty, vat etc) as i mentioned you are lucky, but your uncles flight still had to be paid for, all beit a % for the drill but its still a %
you also didnt mention conversion rate

Breezer Pal,

The conversion rate was taken from OANDA.com yesterday.
All the parts, including the 110v. motors can and will be supplied by Dewalt Uk. I've alredy made enquiries.
I take your point about importing these item illegally, but I think a more relevent question would be why are we being ripped off for the samee tools at double the price.
I'm not saying my situation is the biz for everyone, but it has been fine for me :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back