Dewalt XR SDS Chuck gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a Dewalt XR DCH253M2 SDS hammer workhorse that has been absolutely brilliant. After renovating an old 50s council house last year (made of the hardest engineering brick I have ever seen!) any bit that’s in it now seems to have a slight wonk on it as though it’s bent (even new bits).

Could this be the chuck that has gone or something further back? Happy stripping it down and changing bits out but not convinced it’ll be immediately obvious once inside where the problem is. Only a DIYer so not sure this is a regular thing that people come across with hammer drills when used regularly. To be fair it has done a couple of renovations now and did a lot of plaster removal on rotation lock so would have had a fair bit of lateral pressure on the chuck (but don’t remember it being bad after doing this).

Grateful for advice.

John

Sponsored Links
These drills have chucks with an internal (recessed) RH thread at the back (something like 5/8in UNF x 20 size from memory) with an additional LH hex or Torx recess machine screw in the middle (accessible by opening the chuck jaws fully) to prevent them unscrewing when used In reverse. This needs to come off first and may require the key to be given a sharp smack with a hammer, remembering that it is a left hand thread so the direction may be counter-intuative. The chucks I can normally get off using 10mm hex key gripped firmly in the jaws (and a hammer).

All this means that a wonky chuck is more likely to be caused by the main shaft of the drill being bent (as a result of abuse) than it is by the chuck being foobah, although plastic body chucks can also end up misshapen and wobbly if repeatedly abused. A third party chuck off Ebay will cost you £8 to £20, a decent all metal Rohm chuck will be more in the order of £25 to £35 fron the same source depending on size

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thank you. Exactly the sort of info I was after!

I’ll get it stripped down later then and take a look. I’m assuming the shaft would be a replaceable part too? I’ve got the diagrams anyway so can always look to get something from dewalt if clearly buggered inside. And reference your last bracketed point, it has taken some abuse to be fair to it!!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Gearbox output shaft should be available, although personally I don't fancy taking these gearboxes apart - far to many tiny, fiddly parts for my liking!

Please note that I've corrected my original response to replace some of the crappy auto correct garbage this device constantly generates

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back