Diagnose my leaking bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all of the heavy rain at the w/e i had quite a leak coming out of the top of the window reveal on the bay window at the front of my property (ground floor flat). It was filling up paper cups every few minutes when raining really heavily.

CcRBJxMA.png

Here is the water coming in inside...right at the top of the window frame:

nQ4Cyoha.png

I had thought maybe the water might be coming in from the top of the bay's white moulding but i got someone to have a look and there seems no obvious big cracks/holes:

Ts295EWX.png

I know the pointing on the front of the property isn't int he best shape.

Any ideas where the water might be getting in?

Sponsored Links
Through the dodgy pointing would be my 1st thought, have you checked the gutters above the bay?

i've not checked the gutter personally but the tenant seems to think there looks to be no obvious issues with them in wet weather.

If the pointing do you think just repointing the bit above the ground floor bay would fix the job or is it likely the water is getting in up above too?

Sponsored Links
Check the sealant around the 1st floor bay window...especially at cill level.

It's possible between frame and stone cill .
Brickwork looks damp on rh corner of bay too

Last edited:
Does the window cill on the first floor have a drip? as the brickwork looks damp.

Like this one:

3833079_4c2c1113d4.jpg

Andy

I think the most likely is a leak around the cill of the window above running down too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back