Diagnosis of dodgy floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we're about to have a third viewing on a house, but i have a concern about the floor in the bathroom. As you walk in, just next to the bath (shower end), the floor is split under the vinyl, and i'm not sure whether it's just a manky floorboard, or joist trouble. When you tread on it, it drops by a few mm, and a gap is visible.

I can't do too much to investigate as its not my house, but is there a way to check/test? Will the home buyers report reveal more perhaps? The ceiling downstairs looks fine.

We will be replacing the bath after moving in, but not straight away. I had thought of removing the bath panel, and having a nose.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers, Tony

Sponsored Links
Most likely water has got in at some point but there is no possible way of telling without seeing it or at least a photo. It could just be damaged floor covering but the floorboards (do you know what they are?) & even the supporting joists could be suspect & if your thinking of tiling the floor, will involve rectification work. A home buyer’s survey might reveal more if you point out you want the problem looked at specifically but having been seriously let down by them in the past, I wouldn’t rely on it. If you have any doubts, why wait & pay for a survey, you’re quiet at liberty to ask the vendor specific questions about anything you like & they may let you have a look behind the bath panel unless they have something to hide.

How old is the property? Does the floor move?

Hi Richard, the house was built in the late 70s, hence the compulsory back boiler :)

The floor doesnt move anywhere else.

Any idea what the top price could be if a joist needs repair? Worst case.

Good idea to just ask, its a concern that could put other buyers off, and the estate agent knew nothing.

Many thanks, tony

If the floor moves where the damage is then it’s fecked, at least that bit. If it’s 70’s it could be chipboard floor breaking up locally; chip is total rubbish as a floor anyway & if your planning to tile it’s not a suitable base so you would be better planning to rip it all up & replace with suitable thickness ply anyway. The cost is directionally proportional to the size of the floor but an 8 x 4 sheet of 18mm (min) WBP would typically cost between £25-£30 + screws, sealer & labour cost of ripping out/disposing of the old & fitting new (say 2 days max), £350-£400. Unlikely that the joist is damaged but if it is then cutting away the damage & sistering a repair would be the cost of the timber, some timber connectors & bolts + labour, probably not more than £100 with the floor up but if you DIY then it’s just the cost of the materials which will probably be around 1/3 of that.

If you’re looking at a bargaining figure to replace the floor, I would say at least £500 but it could be more if it involves removing sanitary ware & fitting service valves.

Sponsored Links
But then again it could just need an extra screw to hold a board down or a section of new board! Its unfair IMO to asume damge until further investigation.

1970's floor is most likely chipboard in which case it belongs on the bonfire

nice bit of 18mm ply is what you need. If when you take it up you find a damaged joist (much less likely) then you will have a bit of extra work, but the floor has to come up anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back