Diagram for finding a fault on a ring main

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
The other way is.

if you cant find where it IS
then find where it ISN'T

so in the case of a ring you break it down and if its not in one half it must be in the other
That's exactly the same way as nozspark's. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys - just to confirm, disconnect at CU ?
Then do an IR test on each disconnected socket until you get an abnormal reading.
From this, you can then ascertain which section of cable is faulty.

yes

Disconnect at the CU then split the faulty circuit in two, test and then split the faulty side in two... carry on doing this until you cannot split it any more and have found the fault.

This method is called the 'half split method'

Sponsored Links
Nozspark (and others)
You're stars.
The penny has finally dropped.
Thank you very much.

the other thing to bear in mind is that unless you installed the ring yourself it might not be that easy to work out the order that the sockets are wired in

That doesn't matter - the principle applies and works no matter what the order is or how many accessories are on the ring. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
breezer said:
The other way is.

if you cant find where it IS
then find where it ISN'T

so in the case of a ring you break it down and if its not in one half it must be in the other
That's exactly the same way as nozspark's. :rolleyes:

I think Mr Breezer is/was an appliance engineer, not an experienced electrician, that'a why some of his replies are a bit vague.... ;)

I agree, it's not too easy when its an old installation and you don't know how it has been wired. You can't really find mid points, any tips ?

Assuming your fault doesn't have all three cores shorted you could short one end to help you determine which sockets were on which side of the gap you opened.

I realise this is a VERY VERY old post, but i found RFLighting's diagram(s) extremely useful as i'm about to have a look at our ring main as its recently developed a tripping fault however i have one quick question.

When you say Test each leg of the ring how eactly would you do that with a multimeter once you've broken the circuit? would you need some very long leads to connect the wires between the CU and the socket you are testing?

Could someone be so kind as to describe the steps for a dullard like myself, it's proabably very easy but the penny hasn't quite dropped for me yet :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back