insulation resistance on a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if someone could just clear this up please, when doing a insulation resistance test on a ring main, be it between live conductors, or between live conductors and earth, would i be correct in saying that you put the crock clips on both live conductors of the circuit and test :?: or just one single line conductor and conduct test

Sponsored Links
i don't think so, have tried it and get same readings, still learning so just making sure what i'm doing is correct

Sponsored Links
Take one leg of the ring final

connect clips to

1. Phase & Neutral - Test

2. Phase & Earth - Test

3. Neutral & Earth - Test

If you connect to either end of a leg you will create a dead short

You could connect Phase and Neutral together and attach to 1 clip and earth to the other and test, however I consider this to be lazy and not GOOD practice, you should do the test in pairs in my opinion.

I know people who do this but it is surely quicker to just do it in pairs!!!!

Connecting phase/neutral is recommended when you have any sensitive equipment, such as neons, if you can't disconnect them.

If nothing vulnerable on circuit.

I would do each coloured end seperate that way you test each loop twice and can compare the readings.

This would also indicate lack of continuity at the same time, if one reading was significally different for the same colour core.

Same with the N and E.

Continuity tests are done before insulation resistance.
Therefore it doesn't matter which end of the ring insulation is tested from, since you will already know that the two ends are connected.

Insulation tests are also done with the protective conductors connected to the main earth terminal.

Insulation tests are also done with the protective conductors connected to the main earth terminal.

where does it say to do that?
what's wrong with testing the wiring in isolation from the CU?

I assume you think it proves that the L/N hasn't been damaged and touching the conduit or trunking or the water pipes under a floor etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back