Diameter Of Waste Pipe: What Size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post on plumbing guys!

I have searched here for tips about my problem.

I have a bathroom with basin & bath currently piped under the floor and out to a soil stack. Max length of pipe from sink to stack is circa 7m. The internal waste is all inch and a half.

They are piped individually inside the house, then join a piece of 38mm running to a stack.

Trouble is, the pipe connected to the stack is reduced to inch and a quarter, resulting in extremely slow emptying.

To cut a lot story short, I have to replace a flat roof through which the stack protrudes.

I therefore would like to rectify this pipework before the new roof goes on.

I realise I might need to replace part or all of the stack in doing this.

So, after all this waffle, my key questions are:

What diameter pipe is recommended to take away waste water from a bath and a sink into a 100mm soil stack?

Is 38mm still OK to run from the sink and bath to the outside?

I may add a shower basin in the bathroom. Whatever pipe diameter is chosen, I guess it would have to cope with waste from all three?

Thanks people!

Sponsored Links
50mm enough for 3 possible outlets?

Fine. Thanks, Kev.

Sponsored Links
I was going to, but I was waiting for your inevitable reply.

But now you've compared me to a chippie, you can kiss your thanks goodbye! ;)

hahaha-024.gif

No, I have thanked you, honest guv!

I did consider grabbing it back, but thought better of it... ;)

Forgive me for resurrecting this thread, but it is still ongoing.

I never had the pipe replaced as I could not get a plumber in before the new roof went on....

I am now in the long slow process of designing a new bathroom. Is 50mm still the way to go?

The reason I ask is that someone (a chippie as it happens) reckons inch and a quarter is OK as not everything will be draining to waste at the same time. However, I have my doubts, as I timed the bath emptying just now.

It will be replaced with an 1800 x 800, but the existing one is 1685 x 750mm. I cleared the waste with Sodium Hydroxide, then used a plunger (after blocking the overflow).

Then I filled it up to the overflow with water and pulled the plug. It took 5 mins 16 sec to empty.

Is that about right or is it slow? Maybe I'm impatient. Maybe it's a long time when you're standing there with a stopwatch, but it seemed slow to me.

Whaddya reckon guys? Replace with a 50mm pipe?

Thanks.

Another issue could arise (if you haven't already fitted the shower), the discharge from the bath may not be able to get away quick enough, (or the pipe clogs up downstream before the stack), and you'll find the contents of the bath reappearing in the shower tray. :eek:

Looked at a job myself recently, young lady had a bath, pulled the plug and went to dry her hair. Came back to find the bath water had erupted out of the shower waste, flooding the bathroom, then began dripping through the kitchen ceiling below. :cry:

Google approved document H, sanitation. Longest run in 40mm allowed is (1"1/2) if I remember righlty is 3M. You need to make sure its on a gradient which is more pertinant than the bore of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back