Did you own a BMX?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before any of you start, bog off with your 'another pointless thread!' stuff. This is a general discussion section and I reckon this thread could be of interest to some :) This article got me thinking:

When life was wheelie great! Fantastic pictures show youngsters hurtling up ramps in 1980s BMX craze | Daily Mail Online

Did you ever own a BMX? If yes ...

1. Do you remember which brand/model?
2. How proficient were you at doing tricks? If pretty good, which tricks?
3. Did you add anything to it e.g. stunt pegs?
4. If possible post a pic of it.

Me. Yes I owned a BMX. It was a Halford's branded one, called the 'Turbo' I think. If you want to mock me bash on, however I'll forever remember that bike warmly as my mum got it for me one Christmas. I was never any good at tricks (too much of a scaredy cat) other than low level bunny hops. Didn't add anything to it, ran it completely standard lol. Here's a pic but it's not mine, found on the Internet.

Halfords-Turbo.jpg

Sponsored Links
I had a Raleigh chopper bike

blue one

Cost £38 brand new

quite collectible today

Didn't own one but great article and nice pics. I did know a guy who owned a few cycle shops who did well from the sales and put on a number of events to promote them. They were a huge phenomenon.

Sponsored Links
I don't have any pics, but I remember saving up and buying one myself for £80. It was chrome, over the next 2 years I probably spent more than £80 on "upgrades". A 6 pot headset, layback seat post, some bear trap pedals. I could endo, track stand, bunny hop and remember the pain of landing on the seat after a jump at my local BMX track.

No I didn't. I always wanted one but my parents said no. I used to ride my step brothers which was some unbranded Derivative with immitation Skyway yellow wheels.
I begged for a Nitro Burner part of the Raleigh series..meanwhile my mates had Pk Rippers Huffy Diamond Backs etc. One of my closer mates I used to race with went on to be world class champion racer in bmx and cruisers.

I used to borrow my girlfriends' brothers' PK Ripper to fetch the take-away. Incredible machine back then (1982). Way ahead of its time.

I raced BMX when I was a kid. A nice family we lived near used to race their bikes, and let me go all over the country with them.

I grew up in Herne Bay and we had a deserted BMX track (and speed skating ring) which was privately owned but completely neglected so is kids used to trespass and clear the weeds and use it.

I think in my best year I placed 28th in the National under 12s. To be fair, i couldn’t afford to go to every meeting so I’d never win the championship, but it was fun to participate. Tiverton, Hounslow, Glasgow we’re all places we’d go to. The National track was at Slough under the flight path, and I remember watching Jamie Staff do some nuts jumps…he went on to be quite a successful coach in British track cycling.

I had an Auburn CR20r bike, which was pretty neat and had a two part frame. When I hit my teens I got interested in other things and the bike rusted away in the garden…which is a shame as I have just googled it and there’s a mint one for £1,500 on eBay :confused:

I still have my race plate somewhere though…901 was my number.

I cracked one jumping off a 4 foot ramp.
Don't ask me how, but when i hit the ground the frame split in 2 and somehow I wasn't hurt.

1. Do you remember which brand/model?
2. How proficient were you at doing tricks? If pretty good, which tricks?
3. Did you add anything to it e.g. stunt pegs?
4. If possible post a pic of it.

Yes. Can't remember the brand, would have been a cheap rubbish one.
I did small jumps, bit of hopping about.
I think I had pegs at the back. Not the front.
No pics exist. Actually ... maybe ... I remember there was a photo of me jumping over a ramp we made in the garden, out of the table tennis table. But god knows where that is now.

I raced BMX when I was a kid. A nice family we lived near used to race their bikes, and let me go all over the country with them.

I grew up in Herne Bay and we had a deserted BMX track (and speed skating ring) which was privately owned but completely neglected so is kids used to trespass and clear the weeds and use it.

I think in my best year I placed 28th in the National under 12s. To be fair, i couldn’t afford to go to every meeting so I’d never win the championship, but it was fun to participate. Tiverton, Hounslow, Glasgow we’re all places we’d go to. The National track was at Slough under the flight path, and I remember watching Jamie Staff do some nuts jumps…he went on to be quite a successful coach in British track cycling.

I had an Auburn CR20r bike, which was pretty neat and had a two part frame. When I hit my teens I got interested in other things and the bike rusted away in the garden…which is a shame as I have just googled it and there’s a mint one for £1,500 on eBay :confused:

I still have my race plate somewhere though…901 was my number.
Great stuff! I wish I'd held on to mine, more for sentimental reasons.

My brother raced his BMX in Romford, went to see him a few times.
There's a pump track about 2 mins cycle from my house. Maybe I should get a BMX for my birthday ...

Sponsored Links
Back