Diesel/oil heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a diesel heater at work to heat our sprayshop. It is getting on a bit and not performing as it used to so i treated it to a new nozzle and new pump.
Now the nozzle is a Danfoss 1.00 60 EH and the pump is a Danfoss 21R3 so i figured it may be the same as some oil fired central heating systems hence the question.

After fitting them it would appear that the heater is not warming the sprayshop up sufficiently, normally comfortable heats 12,800 sq. ft up to 25-30'c no problem but today struggled to get to 15-20'c. has the new pump/nozzle got any means of being increased to produce more heat i.e adjustments on the pump etc.
The pump and nozzle were taken to the supplier and as much as i can see are like for like.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Which model Heater do you have?
What have you set the oil pressure at.
What are Smoke and CO2 readings.

If you changed the pump without adjusting the pressure, then you will be underfiring. Alternatively, there may be a problem with the fan/limit stat.
I don't know how to spray paint, but I know how to set up oil fired heaters.

New pump is almost certainly your problem if you've just stuck it on there without setting it up properly

Sponsored Links
The heater is a northern tool industrial indirect space heater.

In answer to the questions:-

(What have you set the oil pressure at.) -

I just fitted the pump as is out of the box

(What are Smoke and CO2 readings.)

Unsure never measured them, the whole unit is outside the back of the workshop so neither were a great concern to me.

(there may be a problem with the fan/limit stat)

The fan is mounted on one end of the motor and the pump mounted on the same shaft of the motor at the other end. not sure what is menat by a fan limit stat, the machine looks to be fairly crude in its design with only one photocell sensor pointed into the burner head.

Any other help appreciated, the problem I had with copying any settings off the old pump was that is had been stripped down by an employee trying to fix it back to every single part that could be stripped down. I therefore had no idea on any positions or presets etc.

Ideally you'll need to know what the manufacturers recommendations are for this burner and its application - but I realise thats probably impossible now.
The new pump will probably be set at 145 psi (10 bar near enough) and the manufacturer would state its working pressure which would likely be between 110 psi and that figure, depending whether you were using Kero or heavy oil as fuel. A pressure gauge is screwed into the pump port marked 'P' and the pressure adjusted via an allen screw on the side.
There will be an adjustable door on the side of the burner to allow air in for combustion, and this would be adjusted to give a very low smoke reading (0-1) and a CO2 reading somewhere in the region of between 11 and 12% - but a flue gas analyser is essential for this.
Over firing will burn out the baffles in the heaters combustion chamber, and underfiring can cause difficult starting and smoke / fume.
Hope this helps a bit - there's only guesswork here!
John :)

If running on diesel, eg 35 sec oil, then pressure could be significantly higher than pump set pressure, and I would think much higher(180 psi?) than the 110 psi quoted by burnerman.
The fan/limit stat controls the circulating air fan and fires the burner. This is separate from the burner combustion air fan.

I only have one fan at the rear of the heater, it blows through the heater and there is a sliding cover which is adjustable to presumably let more of the air into the combustion or not. the remaining air blows across the heater and onto the ductwork leading into the sprayshop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back