Diesel Waxing Additive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had big issues last winter when diesel Vitara left for 2 weeks whilst on hols and the fuel waxed and took days to thaw out etc.

Dnt want to happen whilst away again this years. Any additives I can stick in ?

Sponsored Links
surprised did not think new fuels suffered waxing as that happens at -9 deg C for summer diesel, -12 deg C for red diesel and -15 deg C for winter DERV

It may just be water in the filter if applicable or the battery glow plugs not up to the job as at -15 the oil will be a lot thicker ( at -30 it is like treacle use to test oil pumps at -40)

I had three cars I had to start in -18 temps last winter, 2 diesel, one petrol.

My van, wouldnt start, girlfriends car, wouldn't start.

I had to get my petrol BMW, which started on the button to jump start them both. Had trouble getting the door open tho, as it's a coupe with frameless windows and the glass had stuck to the seals. So the door opened and moved, but the glass didn't..!!!

With the olde diesels we used to add some petrol if it was very cold, that usually did the trick. With modern engines you wouldn't get away with adding a lot but I wouldn't think a little would hurt - unless anyone knows otherwise.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I live in the tundra regions of Northumberland :p 3 diesel vehicles and 1 petrol (not counting the bike here)......
I've never had any starting problems, but if its really cold I sometimes use the glowplug preheat twice before starting.
At the first hint of a battery failing though, its out.
Check glowplugs with a multimeter? Look for 1-2 ohms tested individually - its the best chance you get.
John :)

Trouble is most modern cars crank very little and start very quicky.

So it's normally too late.

Trouble is most modern cars crank very little and start very quicky.

So it's normally too late.
Thats not a fault, it's good design, do not depress the accelerator pedal while trying to start the vehicle, it confuses the ECU.

Wotan

Interestingly enough, the later Isuzu diesel needs to crank over long enough to get oil pressure before the injectors will fire....there may be other vehicles similar.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back