Diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just filled up the car, went to Morrisons as usual. To my utter shock and surprise, I found the price was 99.9 pence per litre. :eek: Needless to say i filled her right up before the prices change!

Today I passed Esso who were charging 102.9 (the board read 1029 because there was no space for the decimal) on my way to work. Then on the way home, 9 hours later, they were charging 103.9!

Isn't it a disgrace? I know oil is becoming scarce, but I'm just glad I live closer to work nowadays.

I think I'm going to stick with this car (efficient and cheap to run) until its time for a change, a year or 2, then look at electric cars or something, and charge it at work :LOL:

Whats the forums view on this?

(Lets not mention wars, the holocaust, or immigrants)

Sponsored Links
I can see the impending fuel shortage leading to war. We'll face a holocaust of epic proportions brought on by the "big boys". Countries perceived to be relatively safe will crumble under the weight of mass immigration.

Then it will be Xmas.

Just paid 104 per 5 litres for diesel..

Not so long ago the diesel was about just over half the price of petrol now its more

Why?..its so obvious, they are sticking the price increases on diesel to compensate for petrol

And we are falling for it...but thats what makes us so quintesentially british..they could charge 2 quid a litre...we will carry on paying.

What mugs we are.

Sponsored Links
Its almost the same here but prices haven't quite hit the £1 per litre mark. Anyway, I've started walking into town, it only takes 4 minutes whereas driving including finding somewhere to park can often take a bit longer.

The reason diesel costs more is due to the higher demand. There are lots of diesel cars out there now compared to a few years ago.

Petrol and diesel are made from crude oil by fractional distillation. You get the quantities of each that you get. You can't turn it just into diesel or petrol, it distills the way it distills due to the content of the fuel oils in the crude.

I travel to work daily, a round trip of some 60 miles. If we keep getting these weekly increases in fuel then it will come to the point where its not cost effective to work.

I'm sure diesel is more because greedy old government realise that diesel give more mpg, hence the higher price, I dont think it costs as much to produce as petrol. Also there are a large proportion of business users buying diesel so there is a large demand, untl they start saying no prices will just continue to rise. :evil:

Perhaps we would have been better off not going to war with Iraq, we may not have seen these rises :?:

It's all down to the industrialisation of China and India. It is estimated that in 20 years China alone will use the equivalent to ALL the world's oil production.

The reason diesel costs more is due to the higher demand. There are lots of diesel cars out there now compared to a few years ago.
Petrol and diesel are made from crude oil by fractional distillation. You get the quantities of each that you get. You can't turn it just into diesel or petrol, it distills the way it distills due to the content of the fuel oils in the crude.

I blame the immigrants :rolleyes:

nstreet said:
I'm sure diesel is more because greedy old government realise that diesel give more mpg, hence the higher price,

That sounds absolutely right. About twenty years ago I heard some politician claim that the price of gas should be raised to match the price of electricity. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I had an instinctive urge to grab this idiot (he was one of Thatcher's goons) and ram the second law of thermodynamics right up his backside and into his brain. But physics doesn't come into it. This is about economics - supply and demand. If something is in greater demand because it's better, the government sees an opportunity to level the field while simultaneously grabbing yet more of our cash. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I blame the immigrants :rolleyes:

You might have a point there.

I travel to work daily, a round trip of some 60 miles. If we keep getting these weekly increases in fuel then it will come to the point where its not cost effective to work.

I'm sure diesel is more because greedy old government realise that diesel give more mpg, hence the higher price, I dont think it costs as much to produce as petrol. Also there are a large proportion of business users buying diesel so there is a large demand, untl they start saying no prices will just continue to rise. :evil:

Perhaps we would have been better off not going to war with Iraq, we may not have seen these rises :?:

Just wait til its about 2/3 dearer than petrol..what will be the advantage of buying a diesel car?

Its all this stuff about converting your car to run on LPG..ok at the moment its half the price...give it a few years and the governemtn will be milking that to death as well and it will be the same price as the petrol an deisel...hardly worth spending out a grand for the conversion is it.

Diesel and petrol have the same level of duty on them. You'll have to look elsewhere for the price increase.

And finally . . . will there be another fuel strike?

Soon I hope..Ive just filled my tank up. (and no...its not a sherman!)

Country bought to its knees in 4 days...amazing

But it wasnt really a fuel strike was it...just loory drivers blocking the ports and refinaries

Makes a change from them blocking two lanes going up a hill on a motorway while they test their tachos, the posstots.

Sponsored Links
Back