Difference between C16 and C24 grade timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the difference between C16 and C24 grade timber? And what exactly are C16 and C24 to start with? Is it to do with the finish or treatment the wood is put through?

Sponsored Links
It is a structural grade, the higher the number the stronger the timber.

Each c grade has structural values (the grades go from c14 to C35), these values allow the engineer to do his calcs.

C grading is only for softwood. Structural hardwoods upto a certain size are graded as D grades then above that go to THA THB grades. C and D grades are mechanically graded which is why you can get graded timber that is worse than useless, computer says yes! THA and THB are visual only grades used for large section hardwoods, often graded green.

Few corrections, not that much of this is relevant to the OP.

C grades can be visually or machine graded, C16 is mostly machine graded, C24 tends to be more mixed, all machine grades have visual over-rides.

Oak comes in grades TH1 TH2 THA and THB, some of these equate to D grades rather than oak being specifically graded to a D grade, these grades are all visual, very rarely are hardwood's machine graded.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to go slightly off topic but it might help the op, recently I changed some floor joists in my house to "upgrade them". They were 7 inch probably 100 year old joists. (no idea what timber they used back then). They were all over the place twisted etc. So we removed them all and replaced with 9 inch (to lower the ceiling slightly and remove any bounce) C16 joists.

The 9 inch joists are actually worse for bounce than the old joists. What was used in the olden days? C16 8" joists are what were actually recommend for the 4m span. Would say a C24 8 inch joist be better than the 9? I thought it was just less knots etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back